Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Gary Kennedy <ga...@apnic.net> on 2014/11/05 07:02:09 UTC

Setting rest response json directly

Greetings all,

I'm using the camel rest dsl in a karaf osgi blueprint to define my route (and I love it, so easy), and I've got an onException block properly handling my (known) exceptions for an 'application/json' POST endpoint.

I've set it to produce 'application/json' and when things go well it works fine.

However, on the exception case I want to respond with a json body containing the exception message.
e.g., { "error": "${exception.message}" }

When I use setBody to do the above, the response is a json string of the above instead of the above as json. (Does that make sense??)

So how can I set a json response body from a simple (dsl) string?

Cheers,
Gary

Re: Setting rest response json directly

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

>From Camel 2.14.1 onwards we have made this easier with

So if you have a custom error message you just set the HTTP error code
to a value 300+ and rest-dsl will not do output binding. There is a
new option that is turned on by default, you can turn it off to use
the old behavior.

And the rest-dsl documentation has a little example in the bottom
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CAMEL/Rest+DSL

On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 11:24 PM, Gary Kennedy <ga...@apnic.net> wrote:
> I changed the way I used the servlet/rest component and it works for me now.
>
> I'm still using the same bean setup as before:
>     <reference id="httpService"
> interface="org.osgi.service.http.HttpService"/>
>     <bean id="camelServlet" class="...CamelHttpTransportServlet"/>
>     <bean id="registration" class="...OsgiServletRegisterer"
>                 init-method="register" destory-method="unregister">
>         <property name="alias" value="/example"/>
>         <property name="servletName" value="MyServlet"/>
>         <property name="servlet" ref="camelServlet"/>
>         <property name="httpService" ref="httpService"/>
>     </bean>
>
> But now I've dropped the rest part, and using servlet endpoints to start the
> routes:
>     <camelContext>
>         <dataFormats>
>             <json id="json" .../>
>         </dataFormats>
>         <route>
>             <from uri="servlet:///route?servletName=MyServlet"/>
>             <unmarshal ref="json"/>
>             < !-- lots of magic -->
>             <onException>
>                 <exception>net.me.MyException</exception>
>                 < !-- more magic -->
>                 <setHeader headerName="Content-Type">
>                     <constant>application/json</constant>
>                 </setHeader>
>                 <setBody>
>                     <simple>{ "error": "${exception.message}" }</simple>
>                 </setBody>
>             </onException>
>         </route>
>     </camelContext>
>
> The bonus to using this method is that the unmarshalling is covered by the
> in-route onException block as well.
>
> The downside is that now I have to work on the http method filtering (ie,
> making the route POST/GET specific). It might be easier to play with the
> consumes/produces part of the rest dsl to bring the above theory used above
> into the rest dsl. Anyways,
>
> Cheers,
> Gary

Claus Ibsen
-----------------
Red Hat, Inc.
Email: cibsen@redhat.com
Twitter: davsclaus
Blog: http://davsclaus.com
hawtio: http://hawt.io/
fabric8: http://fabric8.io/

Re: Setting rest response json directly

Posted by Gary Kennedy <ga...@apnic.net>.
I'm using blueprint, but yes, it does not work.

    <cml:setBody>
        <cml:simple>{ "exception": "${exception.message}" }</cml:simple>
    </cml:setBody>

Produces response content of:
    "{ \"error\": \"${exception.message}\" }"

Instead of:
    { "error": "${exception.message}" }

I'm using the servlet/rest config, ie:
    <camelContext>
        <restConfiguration component="servlet" bindingMode="json"/>
        <rest consumes="application/json" produces="application/json">
            <post>
                <route>
                    < !-- lots of magic -->
                    <onException>
                        <exception>net.me.MyException</exception>
                        < !-- more magic -->
                        <setBody>
                            <simple>{ "error": "${exception.message}"
}</simple>
                        </setBody>
                    </onException>
                </route>
            </post>
        </rest>
    </camelContext>

(Sorry. I should have included this snippet in the first email)

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

And using

    .setBody(simple("{ \"error\": \"${exception.message}\" }"))

Does not work?

--
Claus Ibsen