Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com> on 2020/12/14 13:37:33 UTC

Are you using binary distribution?

Hi Cameleers,
we're discussing binary distribution on two issues[1][2]. The binary
distribution is the tar.gz/ZIP file linked from the Camel website. By
ASF policy we only ship source code, and the binary distribution is
optional.

Back in the dark days, before using build tools that knew about
dependency management (Maven, Gradle...) folk used to use the binary
distribution.

I've found some statistics on downloads/per day, for us[3]/eu[4] and
created these charts:

https://s.apache.org/camel-dl-us
https://s.apache.org/camel-dl-eu

The data is over 2 and 1/4 years, we've had 19.7+-8.8 via US, and
20.24+-8.43 in via EU per day. So not that much IMHO.

I'm wondering if anyone is still relying on these, and if so what
would a binary distribution look like for sub projects? Should we do
the same as we do for the Camel core?

Please reply on this thread or chime in on those issues for
sub-project specific concerns.

Thanks :)

zoran

[1] https://github.com/apache/camel-quarkus/issues/2045
[2] https://github.com/apache/camel-kafka-connector/issues/754
[3] https://www-us.apache.org/dyn/stats/camel.log
[4] https://www-eu.apache.org/dyn/stats/camel.log
--
Zoran Regvart

Re: Are you using binary distribution?

Posted by Peter Palaga <pp...@redhat.com>.
Thanks for opening this, Zoran.

I can say for Camel Quarkus at least, that creating an app with it is
very Maven-repo centric. It is because Quarkus tooling (that does the
build time analysis and transformation of the application code) looks
for the build time and runtime artifacts using Maven or Gradle
resolution mechanisms. It would be very hard for a user to put the
artifacts on proper places manually.

I thought providing a zipped Maven repo could be useful for offline use
cases, but in the end, if only our artifacts (without transitives) are
included, its usefulness would be quite limited.

Having said that, I am for not providing any binary distribution for
Camel Quarkus. I cannot provide any opinion for other Camel projects
because I do not know them well enough.

Thanks,

-- Peter

On 15/12/2020 10:37, Zoran Regvart wrote:
> +1 Tadayoshi, folk seem to use the Maven repository far more than
> downloading a ZIP/tar.gz archive, I can't actually fathom how a
> ZIP/tar.gz with binary jars is useful as we don't provide a
> ZIP/tar.gz+dependencies variant, so for any binary jar we produce one
> has to go and download a non trivial number of dependency jars, check
> for compatibility, update on patch versions...
>
> I was hoping to hear someone with a compelling argument for having the
> binary distribution, but I'm not hearing one. Use cases that I was
> hoping to hear would be that a company firewall doesn't allow
> downloading from Maven central but allows downloading the binary
> distribution ZIP/tar.gz. This was somewhat of a practice ~10 years
> ago, but I guess not today?
>
> Having the `kamel` CLI in distribution is the only one I'd keep for
> now. Let's try to hear from more folk and then we can decide.
>
> zoran
>
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 2:03 AM Tadayoshi Sato <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I don't use binary distributions, either. It makes sense for runtime
>> projects such as Apache Karaf, Kafka, Artemis, etc. to provide binary
>> distributions, but it doesn't for library frameworks like Camel Core, Camel
>> Quarkus, and CKC.
>>
>> For Camel-K, however, it has a CLI `kamel` so IMO it still makes sense to
>> keep binary distributions for it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tadayoshi
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 10:58 PM Ajmera, Hemang C <he...@cgi.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I am relying on maven for binaries and git for sourcecode. IMHO binary
>>> distribution may not be needed.
>>> Github has release feature, where we can have binaries can be downloaded
>>> from there. Many users might be used to that way of downloading binary, so
>>> if needed, that can be alternate place for download if anyone needs it.
>>> However CI/CD pipeline might need updates for github release to work.
>>>

>>> Thanks and Regards,
>>> Hemang Ajmera

>>> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/apache/camel-quarkus/issues/2045__;!!AaIhyw!8ibMqXkFVhQZbXiUiDEZIMhodvHt6ZT0-9hO37pz6vxmkpWyl1rF-cNDiZ80_jXD$
>>> [2]
>>> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/apache/camel-kafka-connector/issues/754__;!!AaIhyw!8ibMqXkFVhQZbXiUiDEZIMhodvHt6ZT0-9hO37pz6vxmkpWyl1rF-cNDiVlO1Pqs$
>>> [3]
>>> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www-us.apache.org/dyn/stats/camel.log__;!!AaIhyw!8ibMqXkFVhQZbXiUiDEZIMhodvHt6ZT0-9hO37pz6vxmkpWyl1rF-cNDiStt2eyy$
>>> [4]

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.

Posted by Tadayoshi Sato <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi folks,

--
Tadayoshi Sato

Re: Are you using binary distribution?

Posted by Tadayoshi Sato <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi folks,

--
Tadayoshi Sato

RE: Are you using binary distribution?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
I fully agree with Romain.

IMHO, two "key" Camel characteristics are:

1. It’s an integration framework
2. It’s runtime agnostic

So, distribution in camel repo itself doesn’t make sense.
For user convenience, it makes sense to provide binary distributions for target runtime (karaf, tomcat, …).

I don’t want to see Camel as a runtime itself as it will prevent adoption and limit usage.

Regards
JB

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
I fully agree with Romain.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 10:35 AM Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org> wrote:

> I think binary distributions are not really useful for projects such as
> camel where there's no executable included, so if we want to not generate
> them, that's fine for me.
> Not sure this requires a vote given it seems there's a consensus already.

Yeah I don't see the need for binary distro either.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: Are you using binary distribution?

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Re: Are you using binary distribution?

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Cameleers,
okay, so I don't see anyone objecting to this. And as Guillaume
pointed out we seemed to have reached a consensus on this.

I've created CAMEL-16038[1], please add implementation comments there.

zoran

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-16038

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Cameleers,