Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com> on 2001/10/16 05:45:28 UTC

Velocity Market Acceptance

Geir,

Any idea of how broadly Velocity has been accepted to date by the market?  Is it yet being used in production systems (and if so, is this through existing frameworks or custom code)?  Is it yet being used (or contemplated to be used) in any commercial systems?  Is there any commercial documentation yet on VTL (such as books, or in-depth articles) existing or planned?

Regards,

Terry

PS:  I'll certainly do my part to see that this happens, but it would help to know the current depth of market penetration.

Re: Velocity Market Acceptance

Posted by Leon Messerschmidt <le...@opticode.co.za>.
Hi Terry,

Can't give too much info ( confidential :-) ), but we're working with a
largish organization (3000 employees) who are considering moving ALL their
server side systems and extranet applications to Java/Velocity.

~ Leon

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 10/16/01 11:55 PM, "Ewan Makepeace" <ew...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> We have just completed:
>
> http://www.goodwoodinteriors.com
>
> for a client. This site uses Velocity to generate all index and detail pages
> from a database, but the site is served as static pages. If this type of use
> qualifies for an entry in the 'powered by velocity' list, please include.
>
> Thanks,
> Ewan

Sure!  Why not - Velocity is being used to generate the content.  Velocity
is used to generate static content for the Apache, Jakarta, Velocity,
Turbine, ...

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                       geirm@optonline.net
System and Software Consulting

RE: Velocity Market Acceptance

Posted by Nick Bauman <ni...@cortexity.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 10/16/01 12:51 PM, "Terry Steichen" <te...@net-frame.com> wrote:

> Geir,
>
> In your most recent response on this topic you said Velocity is considered
> (by many?) as a disruptive technology.  I assume this means they consider
> Velocity to be an alternative to other systems rather than additive to them?

Sort of.  It *is* an alternative to JSP in the J2EE environment.  I think of
this as a testament to the flexibility and openness of J2EE in that another
view technology can be used w/o any modification to the J2EE spec or servlet
container - your Velocity based application is wholly portable from one
servlet spec compliant container to another.

AFAIK, Msft doesn't give you this freedom and flexibility.

Some consider the fact that Velocity (and WebMacro and...) do take
'mindshare' away from JSP to be a bad thing.  In some narrow ways it is -
especially if you are aiming for people just getting into it. However, as an
experienced developer, I am more comfortable when I can choose among several
ways to get the job done,  and not be forced into *one* way.  Velocity isn't
for everyone.  JSP isn't for everyone.  People can choose.  People can use
both...

> You also mentioned that Velocity is not a big part of the overall system.  I
> agree (and certainly the code itself is quite compact).  But I would not be
> surprised to find a lot of pent-up demand out there, existing and growing
> because folks  can't really produce the kinds of applications in the desired
> quantity with existing, main line technologies (like JSP, ASP, CF, etc.).
> It's just too hard.  They do what they can and make do with that.

Sure - but in a webapp, Velocity is a minor player.  Not irrelevant or
unimportant, but minor.  There is the webserver, a servlet container, the
servlet/controller, the application logic, the data model, the database,
etc...  That's all I meant.

> Finally, regarding your comment suggesting that Velocity would not justify a
> book.  With all due respect, as a relative newbie I have to say that
> Velocity (just like many/most open source projects) suffers from a bad case
> of what I call the COIK** fallacy.  The level of technical knowledge of
> yourself and your closest collaborators is, I suspect, pretty intimidating
> to less technically inclined users of Velocity.  Your documentation is quite
> thorough - from a 'techie' perspective (including both the users' and
> developers' docs) - but it (quite understandably) does not provide more
> business-oriented technicians with suggestions on how to best use the
> plethora of great features.

No worries.  I want to write a book on it.  I have tons of things to write
about. I am just trying to arrange my life and bootstrap the process.

I realize 100% that this stuff isn't obvious to a first time user.  I was a
first time user once as well with web development, and vowed that I would
try to make the process easier for others...

I tend to behave like a screaming lunatic when things are broken or badly
written/documented, so I understand :)

> **Clear Only If Known - I can personally attest to how difficult it was to
> initially grasp many key features and capabilities; features which now seem
> quite logical and clear (and even more impressive) after a lot of digging
> and reflecting.

When you were coming up to speed, the thing that went through my head was
that you should just 'let go a little'.  I can't explain it, and I think
that you may understand the gist of it now...

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 10/16/01 1:08 PM, "Rick Gibbs" <ri...@earthcars.com> wrote:

>>> Speak up, people!
>>>

> At dealer.com we have close to 200 seperate client websites that use
> Velocity for all dynamic content.  We are migrating more clients every
> week so that number should grow quite rapidly.  We used to jsp for all
> of the content generation but 6 months we made the jump to velocity and
> haven't regretted it for a second.

That's great!!

1) Can I put that on powered-by, and can I use the above as a quote with
your name?  'No' is an acceptable answer for any or all, but I would at
least like to list you.

2) Can you find me a good deal on a 2001 BMW 540i?  Don't mind automatic,
would want all options except for the nav system... :)

geir

Posted by Rick Gibbs <ri...@earthcars.com>.
Isn't that always the case, send out an email promoting a site and there
is maintenance being done.  Its back up now.

Posted by Richard Neish <ri...@rmp.com.jm>.

Posted by Rick Gibbs <ri...@earthcars.com>.
> > Speak up, people!

At dealer.com we have close to 200 seperate client websites that use
Velocity for all dynamic content.  We are migrating more clients every
week so that number should grow quite rapidly.  We used to jsp for all
of the content generation but 6 months we made the jump to velocity and
haven't regretted it for a second.

Rick

___________________
Rick Gibbs
CTO
Dealer.com
rick@dealer.com

Re: Velocity Market Acceptance

Posted by Barbara Baughman <ba...@utdallas.edu>.
I wrote my first test application as a servlet.  I wrote the second as a
series of jsp programs, and that was better.  I wrote my production system
using Velocity, and as far as I'm concerned, Velocity wins hands down.  I
am about to launch another app that uses Velocity.

These are relatively small apps, and are for private use by my company.
I'm the only one who works on them (no designer group, no database
management group), so the need to have templates that a non-programmer can
work with isn't even an issue.  I like the logical organization it imposes
on preparing the application, because it separates things that are easier
to maintain if they're separate.  The loadConfiguration() method takes
care of all initialization.  The standard handleTemplate just needs to get
the template name.  I have another method getTemplate() that determines
what controller to forward the processing, depending on the CGI parameters
passed.  Then methods within the controller manipulate data, load the
context and send the template name back to getTemplate() (and thus
handleTemplate()).  The templates are pretty straightforward and easy to
change.

Pretty easy to troubleshoot and maintain and develop, even for a newbie
without a framework.  Thanks for a great product.

Just thought you might like to hear from a small-time developer, too.

Barbara Baughman
University of Texas at Dallas

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.