Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Fred Atkinson <fa...@mishmash.com> on 2001/12/30 01:34:00 UTC

Best way to do this

    I have a server and I am running Linux 7.0 on it.

    I want to install the current version of Apache on it.

    I am not sure if it is wise to install it under 'root' user.  Can
you advise.

    What I would ideally like to do is to support multiple domain names
on this server.  I'd like to create a separate subdirectory for each
domain name.  Example:

        Domain Name         Subdirectory            User Owner
        ----------------    ----------------        -------------
        domain1.com         /www/domain1.com        johndoe
        domain2.net         /www/domain2.net        bjones
        domain3.org         /www/domain3.org        jsmith
        domain4.org         /www/domain4.org        bmiller
        domain5.org         /www/domain5.org        gallen
with    Ip address only     /www/default  (in case someone accesses
my site by IP address only, to give them some sort of a raspberry or
etc.).                                              root

    Would it be feasible to do this by installing Apache under the
root user then creating these subdirectories and giving ownership of
the subdirectory to the individual user?

    Please advise.

                                                    Fred

RE: Best way to do this

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
> From: Fred Atkinson [mailto:fatkinson@mishmash.com]

>     Would it be feasible to do this by installing Apache under the
> root user then creating these subdirectories and giving ownership of
> the subdirectory to the individual user?

Apache should be installed and owned by root.  However, the DocumentRoot's
for the various servers can be owned by anyone you want.  It is not
necessary for the DocumentRoot's to be subdirectories of the Apache
installation.  You can install Apache to /usr/local/apache and still point
the DocumentRoot's at /www/whatever.

Joshua.