Posted to user@poi.apache.org by shankarrao <sh...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/05 07:51:05 UTC

Which model to choose for reading and writing of XLS and XLSX file formats

Hi,

In our application, I would like to read both the XLS and XLSX files as user
input. Also, I want the output support in both these formats.
Say if a user has uploaded an XLS file as the input. When they download the
file, I want it to be downloaded in XLS format. The same is the scenario for
XLSX files.

Could you please suggest me on the Apache POI model to use for the above
scenario?

Re: Which model to choose for reading and writing of XLS and XLSX file formats

Posted by Mark Beardsley <ma...@tiscali.co.uk>.
You will not wirte code to target either of the GSSF or XSSF models in this
case but rather use the classes in the so called SS stream. Take a look here
- http://poi.apache.org/spreadsheet/converting.html - that page talks of
converting old HSSF based code to use the SS model but it will give you a
good idea of how and where to start.

Yours

Mark B