Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by sy...@eluminoustechnologies.com on 2003/02/06 19:02:23 UTC

[users@httpd] I don't know its DNS or Apache Prob!

Hello All,

Sorry for such a post as i am not sure whether my problem is related to apache or bind.

I have a domain name abc.com the named database is also perfect with all cname NS MX and A records.
whenever i type mail.abc.com It gets Redirected to home page of someother domain xyz.com(The home page is of xyz.com but the url remains  mail.abc.com) which is also hosted on the same server where abc.com is.

and its happening to all the domains that are hosted on the server. every mail.alldomain.com goes to the home page of the xyz.com.

I am so confused what has to done.

Rgds,

Tina

RE: [users@httpd] I don't know its DNS or Apache Prob!

Posted by Robert Fitzpatrick <ro...@webtent.com>.

> There is Virutalhost alias setup for abc.com. in my
> httpd.conf and even for xyz.com, actually xyz.com is the
> first Entry for the Virtualhost in my httpd.conf.

Are you using NameVirtualHost? If so, is there an entry like this:

NameVirtualHost ip.address.of.mail.abc.com

And so, the Virtual Host directive have these items:

<VirtualHost ip.address.of.mail.abc.com>
    ServerAdmin webmaster@mail.abc.com
    DocumentRoot /path/to/document/root
    ServerName mail.abc.com
</VirtualHost>

OR

<VirtualHost ip.address.of.mail.abc.com>
    ServerAdmin webmaster@mail.abc.com
    DocumentRoot /path/to/document/root
    ServerName abc.com
    ServerAlias mail.abc.com
</VirtualHost>

--
Robert

RE: [users@httpd] I don't know its DNS or Apache Prob!

Posted by Jeff Cohen <ap...@gej-it.com>.
Use the ServerAlias directive.
e.g. ServerAlias abc.com *.abc.com
then any request the will show mail.abc.com www.abc.com life.abc.com and any
other C or A  record will point to the same website.
BTW, no need to add any records to the DNS, if the CN for the domain is the
same as the website address.
e.g. if abc.com is pointing to the same server that hosts the website and
there's no mail.abc.com, then all requests to that abc.com domain will be
pointed to the webserver.

All the best,
Jeff Cohen

Posted by sy...@eluminoustechnologies.com.