Posted to dev@onami.apache.org by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> on 2013/01/29 15:38:09 UTC

[DISCUSS] moving the bval-guice module efforts from Apache BVal to Apache Onami

Hi all BVal friends,

recently we setup a new Incubator Podling called Apache Onami which is
focused on developing and maintaining a set of Google Guice extensions
- in our modest opinion the bval-guice would fit much better in Onami
community where it would be easier involve committers in the
development.

We would like to propose a "move" from BVal to Onami, it could be
easily done by a `svn cp` and continue the development in the Onami
fork.

What do you think guys? Does it sound something reasonable? Do you see
any potential issue?
Many thanks in advance, all the best!
-Simo

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

Re: [DISCUSS] moving the bval-guice module efforts from Apache BVal to Apache Onami

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hallo Daniel,

my main worries at the beginning were about communities related, not
strictly under a technical PoV.

> Is the guice extensions api independent?

not at the moment, because the ASF provided implementation is the only
one that ships the Method validation extension, which IIUC is not
available yet in the JSR specification.

> Who is going to maintain the changes which are made in bval?
> Do we have maintain multiple bval guice extensions? (for each version)

I propose to postpone technical questions once/if we'll have imported
guice-bval to Onami

> I like the iead/approach to move it into our project.

Great! :)

Alles gute,
-Simo

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hallo Daniel,

Posted by Daniel Manzke <da...@googlemail.com>.

--
Viele Grüße/Best Regards

Daniel Manzke

Re: [DISCUSS] moving the bval-guice module efforts from Apache BVal to Apache Onami

Posted by Daniel Manzke <da...@googlemail.com>.

--
Viele Grüße/Best Regards

Daniel Manzke

Re: [DISCUSS] moving the bval-guice module efforts from Apache BVal to Apache Onami

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
+1

the next bunch of work waiting to be done is the work for the BeanValidation-1.1 specification. And this will take a bit.

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Simo,

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Simo,

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi all again guys,

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Salut mon ami,

> I use bval-guice in some of my projects, and plan to submit a pull-request
> on http://sitebricks.org/ that will use bval-guice as validator
> engine/injection.

great to see that there are more bval-guice users! :)

> Now that Onami is setup, it sounds like a natural home for bval-guice.

indeed, we already discussed, when Onami started his life at ASF, that
this component would fit better in that new place, and we agreed that,
once the whole infrastructure is up and running, we would have
discussed with BVal community that "move".

> Although, it's not only a 'svn mv', but the doc must also be updated (e.g.
> http://bval.apache.org/obtaining-a-validator.html#Obtainingavalidator-UsingGoogleGuice)

yes sure, I estimated a small period in the Onami sandbox in order to
complete the migration and updating the doc according to Onami
conventions.

> Another point is the ease of release. bval is a TPL, so a new release does
> not need to pass the Incubator PMC. I don't see any urgent neeed to release,
> or anything that could block on IPMC level, but good to know it.

+1, in TLP the release process would be much more easier - and
quicker! - even if something says to me that we'll not stay in the
Incubator so long... :P

Thanks for your prompt feedbacks!

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I use bval-guice in some of my projects, and plan to submit a
pull-request on http://sitebricks.org/ that will use bval-guice as
validator engine/injection.

Now that Onami is setup, it sounds like a natural home for bval-guice.
Although, it's not only a 'svn mv', but the doc must also be updated
(e.g.
http://bval.apache.org/obtaining-a-validator.html#Obtainingavalidator-UsingGoogleGuice)

Another point is the ease of release. bval is a TPL, so a new release
does not need to pass the Incubator PMC. I don't see any urgent neeed to
release, or anything that could block on IPMC level, but good to know it.

Thx,

Eric

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi all again guys,