Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Alex Muc <al...@utoronto.ca> on 2000/11/19 22:32:23 UTC

Out of Memory Error

Hi,

Sorry for posting this message to both lists, but I wasn't sure which
list was more appropriate and I'd also like to reach the largest number
of people with this message.

I've been bit recently by the Out of Memory error which some users have
been reporting when using Cocoon under various setups.  I'd be very
interested in seeing the problem solved.  I searched through the
archives and I didn't find any solutions but if someone knows the answer
to the problem please tell me about it.

Anyways, in an effort to try and fix this problem I would like to get as
complete a set of details about all the various platforms that it has
occurred on a possible.  Hopefully then we can try and track it down.
So, if anyone who has experienced this problem could spend a couple of
minutes to fill out the following then we can try and find a solution:

Cocoon version:
Servlet Container and version:
JDK version:
Operating System and version:
Integeration with Apache:
Running time before failure:
Number of requests before failure:
Uses JDBC:
JDBC Driver and version and level:
Other description:

Based on my experience with the problem and the tests that I've done it
seems like it is a problem with the servlet container but I don't know
for sure.

Anyways, the following is the description for my system:
Cocoon version: 1.8
Servlet Container and version: Jakarta-tomcat 3.1 final
JDK version:  Sun 1.2.2
Operating System and version: Win98
Integeration with Apache: via mod_jserv
Running time before failure: 12 hours
Number of requests before failure: 1.5 million
Uses JDBC: yes
JDBC Driver and version and category:  MM_mysql Driver, 1.1b, Category 4
Other description: The problem only ever appeared after I was doing some
stress testing on my web app.  Using the JMeter test harness is when the
problem first appeared.  Most of my XSP pages are pretty short.  They do
draw information out a database but that info gets cached after the
first access so actual database usage is pretty minimal.