Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Aurelien DEHAY <au...@ext.anpe.fr> on 2003/09/16 09:56:46 UTC

mod_deflate recommended configuration

Hello.

I took the recommended configuration of
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_deflate.html but we encountered
an error with IE 5.5 and IE 6 browser, regarding this bug:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B327286 .

As a result, we had to remove compression for .js and .css files, as set
in the mod_gzip configuration.

Here our actual mod_deflate configuration:

   <Location />
# #   Insert filter
     SetOutputFilter DEFLATE

# #   Netscape 4.x has some problems...
     BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html

# #   Netscape 4.06-4.08 have some more problems
     BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip

# #   MSIE masquerades as Netscape, but it is fine
     BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

# #   Don't compress images
     SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \
       \.(?:gif|jpe?g|png|js|css)$ no-gzip dont-vary

# #   Make sure proxies don't deliver the wrong content
     Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary
   </Location>

Note the modification of SetEnvIfNoCase. The recommended configuration
could have a problematic behaviour. What is the correct thing to do to
suggest a modification?

Rgds.
--
Aurélien DEHAY

Re: mod_deflate recommended configuration

Posted by Aurelien DEHAY <au...@ext.anpe.fr>.
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Aurelien DEHAY wrote:
>

>>Hello.
>>
>>I took the recommended configuration of
>>http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_deflate.html but we encountered
>>an error with IE 5.5 and IE 6 browser, regarding this bug:
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B327286 .
>>
>>As a result, we had to remove compression for .js and .css files, as set
>>in the mod_gzip configuration.
>

>>Note the modification of SetEnvIfNoCase. The recommended configuration
>>could have a problematic behaviour. What is the correct thing to do to
>>suggest a modification?
>

> You're doing it now.
>
> But from looking at the ms knowledge base article, it seems like this will
> only occur in very rare circumstances involving frames and cache-control
> headers.  It would be a shame to never compress js/css to work around a
> rare problem.  Is this a more common problem than MS suggests?

Well. Rather difficult to say, but we have a client who can't see a page
(with ou without frame) on our site when we have js compression. We made
tests, and the problem seems to occur every 50 to ... times. Not very often.

MS says that the bug is only present on MSIE 6 whereas we have tested it
against a IE 5.5.

It's a bug on a MSIE version, and it seems that MS has not release a
patch to correct it. As MSIE6 and 5.5 represent nearly a very large part
of the browser (on our stats: 83%), the problem is real.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Aurelien DEHAY wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I took the recommended configuration of
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_deflate.html but we encountered
> an error with IE 5.5 and IE 6 browser, regarding this bug:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B327286 .
>
> As a result, we had to remove compression for .js and .css files, as set
> in the mod_gzip configuration.

> Note the modification of SetEnvIfNoCase. The recommended configuration
> could have a problematic behaviour. What is the correct thing to do to
> suggest a modification?

You're doing it now.

But from looking at the ms knowledge base article, it seems like this will
only occur in very rare circumstances involving frames and cache-control
headers.  It would be a shame to never compress js/css to work around a
rare problem.  Is this a more common problem than MS suggests?

Joshua.