Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Kevin Hammond <kh...@home.com> on 2001/10/16 06:05:03 UTC

JMeter User Guide: Outline

Hi,

I have a proposal for a new user guide for JMeter.  A number of users have
found the user's guide to not have enough details.

Looking at some of the other Jakarta projects, I like the one from Struts
http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/userGuide/index.html.  First, it has a lot
of details. Second, the layout is clear and easy to read.  Finally, it
doesn't use HTML frames, which makes it easier to code and for users to
bookmark.

Here's my rough outline.  Feel free to add/change/remove items.  Please give
me your input.  For a rough draft, we can take the existing user's guide and
mold it into this new format. Then, we can see what's left.

Some of the style characteristics I would like the guide to have:
1. Short paragraphs: no more than 5 sentences.  This is stated in most web
design guides.  Reading text on a screen is not very easy on the eyes.
2. Add more screen shots (full and partial screen).  JMeter is a GUI
application.  It deserves pictures.  And, "a picture is worth a thousand
words".
3. More examples.
4. Describe the concepts/examples/whatever using common language.  Pretend
you are verbally describing it to someone.

OUTLINE

1. Introduction
1.1 History
1.2 Similar products (maybe / maybe not... what do you think???)

2. Getting Started
2.1 Requirements
2.1.1 Java Versions: JDK1.2 and higher (has not been tested w/JDK 1.4)
2.1.2 Operating Systems: any (has been tested on Windows 98, ...)
2.1.3 Memory: _______ MB (any ideas?)
2.1.4 Graphics: 800x600 minimum
2.1.5 JDBC Driver (for Database testing)
2.1.6 SAX Parser
2.2 Installation (includes configuration)
2.2.1 Downloading the latest release
2.2.2 Downloading nightly builds (include build instructions)
2.2.1 UNIX-specific instructions
2.2.2 Windows-specific instructions

3. Building a Test Plan
3.1 Adding Elements
3.2 Removing Elements (may combine 3.1 and 3.2 to Adding and Removing
Elements)
3.3 Saving Elements to a File
3.5 Running a test plan

4. Elements of a Test Plan
4.1 ThreadGroup
4.2 Controllers
4.3 Listeners
4.4 Timers
4.5 Assertions
4.6 Configuration Elements

5. Building a Web Test Plan

6. Building an Advanced Web Test Plan (uses most web elements: cookies,
auth, etc.)

7. Building a Database Test Plan

8. Building a FTP Test Plan

9. Remote Testing

10. Best Practices
10.1 Limit the number of threads...
10.2 Where to put the Cookie Manager
10.3 Where to put the Auth

11. Help! My boss wants me to load test our web app!
11.1 Quick step-by-step instructions for people that need results today
(we've all been in that position).

12. Glossary