Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by "MrAsanjar ." <af...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/02 19:42:14 UTC

namenode doesn't receive datanode deactivate event

Hi all,
I have a small hadoop 2.2.0 development cluster consist of a master node (
namenode+resoucemanager ), and 4 slave nodes ( datanodes+nodemanager).
My configuration is as such that it enables me dynamically add slave nodes
by executing commands:
.../sbin/hadoop-daemons.sh start datanode
.../sbin/yarn-daemons.sh start nodemanage
I could verify the activation of the new slave node by executing "jps"
command (datanode and  nodemanager are active ) on the newly created node
and by monitoring namenode health on http://{masternode_ip}/50070

However when I deactivate any of the hadoop slave nodes by executing
commands:
../sbin/hadoop-daemons.sh stop datanode
../sbin/yarn-daemons.sh stop nodemanager

Namenode heath at http://{masternode_ip}/50070 does not show the
deactivation of the slave node. But I could verify the shut-down of
datanode and nodemanager jvm processes by executing "jps" on the slave node.

Namenode eventually after 20-30 minutes marks the salve node dead.
What am I missing here? Why namenode and resourcemanager are not getting
notified of
the datanode and nodemanager deactivation?
Please help, thanks

RE: namenode doesn't receive datanode deactivate event

Posted by Brahma Reddy Battula <br...@huawei.com>.
A Heartbeat mechanism

Hadoop cluster is a master/slave mode, master includes namenode+resoucemanager, slave includes datanodes+nodemanager

Master starts, will open a IPC server there, waiting for the slave heartbeat.

Slave startup, will connect to the master, and every 3 seconds to master sends a heartbeat;, this time through ” heartbeat.recheck.interval” property to set . To their own state information told master, then master is through the heart of the return value, to the slave node to convey instructions..

You can tune heartbeat.recheck.interval  configuration..

The NameNode updates this detail after 10.5 minutes by default. You can see the dead and live datanodes at that time.

It computes this heartbeatExpireInterval time by the following formula

  heartbeatExpireInterval = 2 * heartbeatRecheckInterval +
      10 * heartbeatInterval

where heartbeatRecheckInterval is defined by the configuration heartbeat.recheck.interval which is 5 minutes by default and heartbeatInterval by dfs.heartbeat.interval which is 3 seconds by default.

Hence
heartbeatExpireInterval = 10.5 minutes

Same for Yarn Also.

Thanks & Regards