Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Ian Glennon <ia...@telewest.co.uk> on 2001/12/03 15:17:53 UTC

config/8930: Missing pipe from CustomLog config entry causes graceful restart to report false success

>Number:         8930
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       Missing pipe from CustomLog config entry causes graceful restart to report false success
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
uname -a output :-
SunOS <Hostame removed> 5.8 Generic_108528-06 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-80

The system is actually a 420R.
Don't know what compiler was used, but I don't think this has any relevance.
When the pipe symbol is omitted from the CustomLog entry when using the rotatelogs utility, a graceful restart fails but reports success.
>How-To-Repeat:
Add or modify the CustomLog entry as follows...

CustomLog "/path/to/apache/bin/rotatelogs /path/to/apache/log/access_log 86400" common

Gracefully restart apache

/path/to/apache/bin/apachectl graceful

Check for apache

ps -ef | grep httpd

It isn't there.
>Fix:
The syntax checker logic passes this configuration as OK, so I would suggest that as a good place to start.  If I ever get the chance, I might take a look at the code myself, as it is version 1.3.19 and not the latest 2.0.
 [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]