Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Nick Gilbert <ni...@x-rm.com> on 2005/07/01 14:03:30 UTC

"OPTIONS request failed" error after upgrade to 1.2

Hi,

After updating to Subversion 1.2, one of my colleagues gets the
following error when he tries to commit his latest changes:

> Commit failed (details follow):
> OPTIONS request failed on '/svn/fms/trunk'
> OPTIONS of '/svn/fms/trunk' : 500 Internal Server Error
> (http://ulysses)

We are using 1.2 via Apache 2.0.54.

Thanks,

Nick...

Re: "OPTIONS request failed" error after upgrade to 1.2

Posted by Nick Gilbert <ni...@x-rm.com>.
PS: I noticed that when you install a new version of Subversion, it
doesn't update any of the files in apache/modules (despite the installer
implying it will do this for you), so I copied a few across manually. Is
it possible I could have missed some?

Re: "OPTIONS request failed" error after upgrade to 1.2

Posted by Norbert Unterberg <nu...@gmail.com>.
2005/7/4, Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>:

> The windows binaries that you downloaded are not "the subversion 1.2
> release".

Point taken. I forgot that subversion does not provide any "official"
binaries at all.
Although many people think they do since the binaries are available
from a download page on the "official" subversion site
(subversion.tigris.org).

Norbert

Re: "OPTIONS request failed" error after upgrade to 1.2

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jul 4, 2005, at 6:14 AM, Norbert Unterberg wrote:

> I think the release notes are not true about the database upgrade, at
> least from the windows point of view. Since BDB is statically linked
> with the win32 executables (even with the svn.exe client), it is
> subversion which does the database upgrade on windows systems. That
> means subversion 1.2 can NOT read version 1.1 repositories (without
> manual intervention). On windows, the Berkely DB upgrade *is* very
> well related to the Subversion 1.2 release.

The windows binaries that you downloaded are not "the subversion 1.2
release".

The subversion 1.2 release is a tree of source code.  It can be
linked against any version of BDB on any operating system.  The
subversion project doesn't release binaries.

The *particular* binaries you downloaded happen to use BDB 4.3.  You
could have downloaded different binaries.  You could have built
subversion on windows yourself.

I agree, though:  the "installer" binary that you downloaded should
prominently declare that it uses BDB 4.3, and explain what it means.
We should tell the person who made that installer.

Re: "OPTIONS request failed" error after upgrade to 1.2

Posted by Norbert Unterberg <nu...@gmail.com>.
2005/7/1, Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>:

> Hopefully you saw the releasenotes for 1.2, where it
> explains how to upgrade BDB (in the "compatibility concerns" section)?
>
>        http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.2_releasenotes.html

I think the release notes are not true about the database upgrade, at
least from the windows point of view. Since BDB is statically linked
with the win32 executables (even with the svn.exe client), it is
subversion which does the database upgrade on windows systems. That
means subversion 1.2 can NOT read version 1.1 repositories (without
manual intervention). On windows, the Berkely DB upgrade *is* very
well related to the Subversion 1.2 release.

> This is also explained in the README that ships in the win32
> binaries.  It looks like you need to upgrade your repository to 4.3.

The readme.txt which ships with the win32 binaries is not installed if
you use the windows installer (at least not during the update from 1.1
on my system). So I have never seen this readme.txt before I saw your
mail on the list about it. There is a readme.txt file in my subversion
install folder, but it does not mention the database upgrade at all:

Subversion, a version control system.
Contents:
     I. A FEW POINTERS
    II. DOCUMENTATION
   III. PARTICIPATING IN THE SUBVERSION COMMUNITY
    IV. QUICKSTART GUIDE
     V. CONVERTING FROM CVS

Perhaps these two issues can be improved with the 1.2.1 release?

Norbert

Re: "OPTIONS request failed" error after upgrade to 1.2

Posted by Nick Gilbert <ni...@x-rm.com>.
> it's the binary package author that's forcing you to upgrade
 > your database

Well, the binary package came from the same site that that wording is on
so most people would take that to mean it's an official subversion
distribution, and thus the docs and release notes should apply to it.

 > Sorry for the confusion, maybe we should tweak the wording on
 > the site.

It might be an idea to change the wording. Or at least make the caveats
more clear... eg "Although there is usually no need to upgrade your
repository between minor versions, some users may experience the
following error after an upgrade: <blah>" etc...

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jul 1, 2005, at 3:16 PM, Nick Gilbert wrote:

> I guess I read the "There is *no need* to upgrade your
> repositories" and thought there was no need to upgrade my
> repositories... Silly me.

If you install a binary package that changes BDB libraries on your
system, then it's the binary package author that's forcing you to
upgrade your database, not Subversion.  There's nothing inherent in
Subversion's 1.2 code that requires repositories be changed at all.

Posted by Nick Gilbert <ni...@x-rm.com>.
> Here's what happened.  You 'installed' 1.2 svn binaries and  libraries,
> which have BDB 4.3 linked into them.  Meanwhile, your  repository
> database is a BDB 4.1 or 4.2 database, so it needs to be  upgraded too.

Sounds likely...

> Hopefully you saw the releasenotes for 1.2, where it  explains how to
> upgrade BDB (in the "compatibility concerns" section)?

I guess I read the "There is *no need* to upgrade your repositories" and
thought there was no need to upgrade my repositories... Silly me.

That sentence should read "You MIGHT NEED to upgrade your repositories"
as obviously that statement is completely wrong. Most people won't read
past the "no need" bit...

Anyway - I've upgraded all my repos to 4.3 and it all now seems to be
working (thus proving that sentence wrong).

Thanks very much for you help :)

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jul 1, 2005, at 12:47 PM, Nick Gilbert wrote:

> I need to get this working very soon or I'll get a LOT of grief, so
> any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Here's what happened.  You 'installed' 1.2 svn binaries and
libraries, which have BDB 4.3 linked into them.  Meanwhile, your
repository database is a BDB 4.1 or 4.2 database, so it needs to be
upgraded too.  Hopefully you saw the releasenotes for 1.2, where it

Posted by Nick Gilbert <ni...@x-rm.com>.
>> [Fri Jul 01 14:13:50 2005] [error] [client 192.168.0.95] (20014)Error
>> string not specified yet: Berkeley DB error for filesystem
>> F:\\svnrepo/fms/db while opening environment:\nDB_VERSION_MISMATCH:
>> Database environment version mismatch
>

> This error usually means that mod_dav_svn is linked to one version of
> BerkeleyDB, but accessing a database made by a different version of
> BerkeleyDB.
>
> Are you sure only one person is getting this error?

It seems I am getting error.. not sure how I didn't notice it. Perhaps I
haven't comitted since the upgrade as I've been working on something else.

I don't get why I'm getting these errors. I thought subversion
was backwards compatible with old repos. Was I supposed to dump and
reload when i went from 1.1 to 1.2?

I even get the error if I run "svnadmin verify wright" from the server
itself:

F:\svnrepo>svnadmin verify wright
svnadmin: Berkeley DB error for filesystem wright/db while opening
environment:
DB_VERSION_MISMATCH: Database environment version mismatch
svnadmin: bdb: Program version 4.3 doesn't match environment version

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Nick Gilbert <ni...@x-rm.com>.
>>> Commit failed (details follow):
>>> OPTIONS request failed on '/svn/fms/trunk'
>>> OPTIONS of '/svn/fms/trunk' : 500 Internal Server Error
>>> (http://ulysses)
>
> Rule of thumb:  whenever you see a "500 internal server error", it
> means there's probably more detail in the apache errorlog.

I've attached the Apache error log entries since I installed Apache, but
I'm not really sure what the errors mean...

They mainly seem to be:

[Fri Jul 01 14:13:50 2005] [error] [client 192.168.0.95] (20014)Error
string not specified yet: Berkeley DB error for filesystem
F:\\svnrepo/fms/db while opening environment:\nDB_VERSION_MISMATCH:
Database environment version mismatch
[Fri Jul 01 14:13:50 2005] [error] [client 192.168.0.95] Could not fetch
resource information.  [500, #0]
[Fri Jul 01 14:13:50 2005] [error] [client 192.168.0.95] Could not open
the requested SVN filesystem  [500, #160029]
[Fri Jul 01 14:13:50 2005] [error] [client 192.168.0.95] Could not open
the requested SVN filesystem  [500, #160029]

How do I fix this?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.