Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Troy Motte <tr...@westlake.com> on 1999/07/08 18:08:32 UTC

Request for clarification - release dates

Hi,

I know that to some vague extent, what I'm asking for has already been
posted, but -

What are the approximate scheduled release dates for jakarta, and what will
they include?  I had been under the impression at one point that it was a
few short weeks, and now it sounds like months.  Maybe my confusion was
over source availability vs. finished product?   I guess the real question
is what's a likely release date for a *reliable* version?

Anticipating the suggestion - yes I'd be happy to assist in achieving those
release dates.

thanks
tm

Re: Request for clarification - release dates

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <du...@x180.com>.
> Source code released from Sun -- a few weeks.
>
> A release quality version of at least the Tomcat and JoSPer core engines
> (going into the J2EE reference implementation) -- later this fall.

So -- as I did get a few questions on this, I should clarify this into a
timeline of sorts, nothing accurate, just some rough feelings (timeline
not to scale!)

  +-- now	We are waiting for the code, meanwhile we are
  +             talking about architecture etc.
  +
  +-- soon	The Sun code pops out, merging with JSERV 1.1-DEV
  +		gets underway. The J2EE team will be tracking us
  +             and picking up builds at milestones.
  +
  +-- august	The merging shows some sort of unification. Note that
  +             the main trunk of tomcat should *always* build and
  +             run.
  +
  +
  //
  +
  +-- fall	The Tomcat add JoSPer stuff that we've been working
  +		on shows up in the J2EE beta.
  //
  +
  +-- later 	The Tomcat and JoSOp stuff we're working on shows up
		in J2EE final.

One thing that this means, since the J2EE team allready relies upon a
set of interfaces, is that we'll have to adhere to that set of
interfaces. There's not many, and we can change them, but it will have
to be a joint effort. I imaging as we set in stone the interfaces
between the components that other commercial projects will get into a
similar situtation.

--
James Davidson
<du...@eng.sun.com>            http://java.sun.com/products/servlet

Re: Request for clarification - release dates

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <du...@x180.com>.
Troy Motte wrote:
> What are the approximate scheduled release dates for jakarta, and what will
> they include?  I had been under the impression at one point that it was a
> few short weeks, and now it sounds like months.  Maybe my confusion was
> over source availability vs. finished product?   I guess the real question
> is what's a likely release date for a *reliable* version?

Source code released from Sun -- a few weeks.

A release quality version of at least the Tomcat and JoSPer core engines
(going into the J2EE reference implementation) -- later this fall.

Everything else is up in the air. I expect that we'll have a month or so
after code release in which things will change *very* quickly as the
JSERV-1.1-DEV things are merged in and Greg goes to town seeing what
HTTP stuff is needed. After that, things will settle down somewhat.

The goal, and the purpose of setting up some of the background systems
that I'm currently involved in putting together (ala frequest build /
test machines) is to ensure that we've got a usable version almost all
the way through. Of course, usable in varying degrees, but as usable as
JSERV has been the last year or so would be an expectation.

.duncan