Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Ensdorf Ken <En...@zoominfo.com> on 2009/09/23 23:14:40 UTC

Mixed field types and boolean searching

Hi-

let's say you have two indexed fields, "F1" and "F2".  F1 uses the StandardAnalyzer, while F2 doesn't.  Now imagine you index a document where you have

F1="A & B"

F2="C + D"

Now imagine you run a query:

(F1:A OR F2:A) AND (F1:B OR F2:B)

in other words, both "A" and "B" must exist in at least one of F1 or F2.  This  returns the document in question.  Now imagine you run another query:

(F1:A OR F2:A) AND (F1:& OR F2:&)

Since "&" is removed by the StandardAnalyzer, the parsed query looks like

(F1:A OR F2:A) AND (F2:&)

Now you don't match the document.  Is this a bug?

Thanks!
-Ken

RE: Mixed field types and boolean searching

Posted by Ensdorf Ken <En...@zoominfo.com>.
> The DisMax parser essentially creates a set of queries against
> different fields. These queries are analyzed as per each field.
>
> I think this what you are talking about- "The" in a movie title is
> diffferent from "the" in the movie description. Would you expect "The
> Sound Of Music" to fetch every movie in the database? So "the" is a
> stopword in the description but is not in the title.
>
> Also, the DisMax parser has no OR. It has +, - and "at least one of
> and more is better". The query "A B" means "A or B but both is
> better". "+a +b" means "a AND B". "+a b" means "must have 'a' but is
> better with 'b'".

Right - I'm talked about the disjunction query generated by dismax, which does contain ORs.  To take your example above, say you have a dismax handler defined that searches both movie title and description.  If the query includes "the" and you have mm=100% (so all terms are required) you will only get results whose title contains "the", regardless of the description's contents.  Is that the intent?  Because it seems wrong to me.

Re: Mixed field types and boolean searching

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

RE: Mixed field types and boolean searching

Posted by Ensdorf Ken <En...@zoominfo.com>.

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

--
Lance Norskog