Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2015/09/06 07:09:46 UTC

Headers for generated JavaScript files

Hi,

Apache Flex has a cross-compiler (aka transpiler).  It takes ActionScript
as an input source language and cross-compiles it into JavaScript.  If you
are familiar with TypeScript and its compiler, it is pretty similar.  The
binary package for the compiler contains some of these cross-compiled .js
files as output.  We are pondering whether we should add ASF headers to
these files or some header like: “Generated by Apache Flex Cross-Compiler”
or leave it as is.

IMO, it isn’t source.  Yes, folks can modify it and should be able to do
so under AL.  Thoughts, opinions, precedence?

Thanks in advance,
-Alex

Re: Headers for generated JavaScript files

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net>.
My understanding as a recipient is that having the AL ‎would give me an explicit right to modify. However, can you be sure it is under AL an you do not apply it JS that is a translation of proprietary code? I think there's a lot of proprietary Action Script in the world.
Paul

-- fat fingered on my z10 --

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 06/09/2015 16:03, Alex Harui wrote:
> Actually, the better question might be:
>
> Is the fact that we have examples and samples in the binary package of
> ActionScript files with AL headers but the JS output in the package does
> not have headers a release blocker?  Must we add this feature to the
> compiler and/or post-process the JS files before releasing this binary
> package?

I don't see that as a blocker.

I'd put it in the category of things I'd want to fix before the next
release. If this issue was raised during a release vote I wouldn't see
it as something that would block the release but if a release wasn't
already in progress I'd want to fix it before starting the next release.

As an aside, I think the 'Generated by ... from ...' header is the way
to go. Tomcat has generated code in its expression language parser which
is included in the source bundle. Those files do not have license
headers. They have a one-line header that says which tool they were
generated with.

Mark

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 2:07 AM, Richard Eckart de Castilho
<re...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 06.09.2015, at 11:05, Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On 06.09.2015, at 07:09, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Apache Flex has a cross-compiler (aka transpiler).  It takes ActionScript
>>> as an input source language and cross-compiles it into JavaScript.  If you
>>> are familiar with TypeScript and its compiler, it is pretty similar.  The
>>> binary package for the compiler contains some of these cross-compiled .js
>>> files as output.  We are pondering whether we should add ASF headers to
>>> these files or some header like: “Generated by Apache Flex Cross-Compiler”
>>> or leave it as is.
>>>
>>> IMO, it isn’t source.  Yes, folks can modify it and should be able to do
>>> so under AL.  Thoughts, opinions, precedence?
>>
>> IMHO the output of the transpiler should be under the same license as the
>> input, not under the AL. So if you can preserve a license header (or basically
>> any comments from the input file) during the transformation, I guess that
>> would be the best option. Of course adding a "This is code generated from
>> file X by Y version Z on DATE" would be useful. It could also be useful
>> to allow users to turn the addition of such a header off or to allow
>> them customizing it.
>
> Regarding precedence: I guess look at any macro preprocessor for any language
> or even any compiler. Some vendors impose limits on the output of the transformer
> (I believe Microsoft does it with some versions Visual Studio), but I haven't seen
> such limits on any FOSS transformers so far.

Quite the contrary: GNU Bison, for example, has a very colorful history of
taking an activist position on that very issue:
    http://www.gnu.org/software/bison/manual/html_node/Conditions.html

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Headers for generated JavaScript files

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
Hi Alex,