Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Joern Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/01 10:46:05 UTC

Re: How about moving to GitHub?

Richards has a few good points here. The combination of PR reviews and
CI for each PR really help with high quality maintenance.
I wouldn't enable any of the branch protection features other than
disallowing force push, in the end it is anyway about trusting other
committers and not to about enforcing rules.

Indeed it is true that many people have a hard time to get started
with git, and it was also the same for me, but once you get it, it
seems very natural way of doing things because it allows to influence
every commit to the last detail before you send it in via a PR and
merge it.

A team with little git experience can formalize a step-by-step guide
everyone should use to begin with. Maybe something like this.

This could be:
Create a branch for the work you do with
`git checkout -b branch_name`

Change some files and commit it via
`git commit -a -m "commit message"` (commits all changed files)

Need more changes? Then update that commit via
`git commit -a --amend`

Done?
Push to the remote repository and then send a PR via GitHub webinterface
To push: `git push --set-upstream branch_name`

Maybe now you get some feedback and need to update the PR:
Again `git commit -a --amend`
Then `git push -f`

The PR itself can be merged via button click on the PR GitHub page
after positive review.

If you follow these steps you have a svn like experience but with the
git advantages.

The big conceptual difference from a committer perspective between svn
and git is that what is a commit in svn, is a PR merge in git.
And the later can be done by a button click, which can only be clicked
by committers.

Anyway, it would be quite a bit of work to get this project migrated
and then everyone needs to still spend an hour or two to earn the new
way of doing things.

Just my 2 cents

Jörn

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
I was trying git svn with UIMA a while back, but I don't remember anymore why I gave it up again. I think the way I wanted to do branching somehow didn't work out... and/or the GIT UIs may not have been working nicely either with git svn... but I should read that Apache documentation try again.

Cheers,

-- Richard

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.