Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Gary Karasiuk <gk...@rogers.com> on 2006/02/06 14:41:27 UTC

Running under Eclipse

I'm trying to run the 1.0 version of Geronimo under Eclipse, to debug a
problem I'm having.  I've been following the instructions in the wiki:

http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/EclipseDeployment

I'm confused when reading the "Creating Maven and Server Launch
Configurations" section. It keeps talking about a "geronimo" project,
but I don't have such a project in my workspace. I have many
geronimo-xxx projects, but no geronimo project.  Which project does it
mean?

Re: Running under Eclipse

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
Gary,

Geronimo also provides a source zip.  So rather then go through these
heavyweight instructions for what you're trying to do, you might try
attaching the source jars as a source attachment.

- sachin

Re: Running under Eclipse

Posted by Gary Karasiuk <gk...@rogers.com>.
This worked like a charm. Thanks.

  This would make a great addition to the wiki paper that talks about debugging with Eclipse.

Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com> wrote:  Here's another idea so you don't have to build...

Extract/Unzip  the source.  Then without building, run maven m:eclipse.   Then import all the projects into your workspace.  You'll have  build errors, but all you care about is the source being available at  runtime, so ignore the errors and/or turn off autobuild and  clean.  Now you add add all the projects in the source attachment  wizard and I think this should do the trick.

 - sachin

On Feb 6, 2006, at 11:49 AM, Gary Karasiuk wrote:

Yes, I downloaded the source tree.  That seemed to go ok. To be specific I downloaded from here:

  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/tags/1.0.0

  I followed the build instructions, but the first problem I had was with step:

  maven m:fresh-checkout

  that step failed with:

  [cvs] /home/projects/openejb/scm: no such repository

  I ignored this error and kept on going. Maybe this is the source of my problems, is there a workarounf for this?

Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com> wrote:  Hi Gary,

Did you download the geronimo source tree? Then you will need to
build once, following the build instructions.  Then you need to run
the maven m:eclipse goal which will generate the .project
and .classpath files, so they can be imported into ec lipse.  This is
what I'm referring to as the "geronimo-xxx" projects.

- sachin

On Feb 6, 2006, at 8:41 AM, Gary Karasiuk wrote:

> I'm trying to run the 1.0 version of Geronimo under Eclipse, to
> debug a problem I'm having.  I've been following the instructions
> in the wiki:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/EclipseDeployment
>
> I'm confused when reading the "Creating Maven and Server Launch
> Configurations" section. It keeps talking about a "geronimo"
> project, but I don't have such a project in my workspace. I have
> many geronimo-xxx projects, but no geronimo project.  Which project
> does it mean?

Gary

Gary

Re: Running under Eclipse

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.

Re: Running under Eclipse

Posted by Gary Karasiuk <gk...@rogers.com>.
Yes, I downloaded the source tree.  That seemed to go ok. To be specific I downloaded from here:

  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/tags/1.0.0

  I followed the build instructions, but the first problem I had was with step:

  maven m:fresh-checkout

  that step failed with:

  [cvs] /home/projects/openejb/scm: no such repository

  I ignored this error and kept on going. Maybe this is the source of my problems, is there a workarounf for this?

Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com> wrote:  Hi Gary,

Did you download the geronimo source tree? Then you will need to
build once, following the build instructions.  Then you need to run
the maven m:eclipse goal which will generate the .project
and .classpath files, so they can be imported into eclipse.  This is
what I'm referring to as the "geronimo-xxx" projects.

- sachin

On Feb 6, 2006, at 8:41 AM, Gary Karasiuk wrote:

> I'm trying to run the 1.0 version of Geronimo under Eclipse, to
> debug a problem I'm having.  I've been following the instructions
> in the wiki:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/EclipseDeployment
>
> I'm confused when reading the "Creating Maven and Server Launch
> Configurations" section. It keeps talking about a "geronimo"
> project, but I don't have such a project in my workspace. I have
> many geronimo-xxx projects, but no geronimo project.  Which project
> does it mean?

Gary

Re: Running under Eclipse

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.