Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com> on 2001/08/01 02:43:20 UTC

Re: We have some questions about James ?

1. I'd have to check, but I'm pretty sure that the headers of an email message are required to be 7-bit data.  I was just reading through the JavaMail API last night that said something about this, and someone using the API needs to properly encode data when setting headers.

2. There is no way to change the admin passwords without restarting James.  However, changes to user accounts don't require a restart.

Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies
http://www.lokitech.com/
Posted by riceman <ri...@orgio.net>.
Hi. It's my first posting....

I heard Mr. Kang is in a hurry.
If You Want to update ADMIN PASSWORD dynamically...
You can Change Source Code of RemoteManager.java
Just Change checking block into what you want to do...

It's very happy to find other developer using JAMES in Korea...
If You Have any question
you can send me e-mails in KOREAN.
riceman@riceman.co.kr

riceman

    -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
I agree completely about 8BIT ESMTP commands and how messages can have 8bit
data.  But, this is 8-bit MIME content, not headers.

Check RFC 2047 (MIME Part Three: Message Header Extensions for Non-ASCII
Text), page 2:

"A mail composer that implements this specification will provide a means of
inputting non-ASCII text in header fields, but will translate these fields
(or appropriate portions of these fields) into encoded-words before
inserting them into the message header."

"will" is the strongest statement RFCs make, so to comply with this spec,
you cannot put non-ASCII text in a message header.  This is the RFC that the
JavaMail API references when it says it does not handle the encoding for
you.  Maybe there's a newer RFC that relaxes this restriction...

Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies
http://www.lokitech.com/
Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oki DZ <ok...@pindad.com>.
On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Serge Knystautas wrote:
> I'm not so sure the entire DATA part can by 8-bit... maybe this is just my
> James server screwing with things, but this is what Mr. R�nning's From
> header looked like...

If you have MIME, why should you debate on 7 or 8 bit?
I believe that MIME messages are alway 7 bit; that's the purpose of the
encoding, right?

> From: Gunnar =?iso-8859-1?q?R=F8nning?= <gu...@polygnosis.com>

I think 8 bit messages are not good; not all terminals can display them
correctly. On a gnome-terminal using pine, here in my place, the name has
a representation of "top-right" character between the "R" and "n".

Oki

Re: We have some questions about James ?

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.

From: Gunnar =?iso-8859-1?q?R=F8nning?= <gu...@polygnosis.com>

Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies
http://www.lokitech.com/

Re: We have some questions about James ?

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gunnar Rønning <gu...@polygnosis.com>.

--
Gunnar Rønning - gunnar@polygnosis.com