Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Iwan Bussmann <bu...@gmx.net> on 2003/01/10 17:38:14 UTC

Unable to start james on RH Linux 8.0

Hi all

I'm a new user and I try to install James 2.1 on a RH Linux 8.0 box with
jdk 1.3.1_06.
I unpacked the archive as described in the documentation. Then I want to
start James the first time, but without success because of this error:

Using PHOENIX_HOME:   /home/iwan/james/james-2.1
Using PHOENIX_TMPDIR: /home/iwan/james/james-2.1/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:      /usr/java/jdk1.3.1_06
Running Phoenix:

Phoenix 4.0.1

There was an uncaught exception:
--- Message ---
nested exception is java.net.BindException: Die angeforderte Adresse
kann nicht zugewiesen werden
--- Stack Trace ---
javax.management.MBeanException: nested exception is
java.net.BindException: Die angeforderte Adresse kann nicht zugewiesen
werden
java.net.BindException: Die angeforderte Adresse kann nicht zugewiesen
werden
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(PlainSocketImpl.java:447)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:165)
        at
mx4j.adaptor.PlainAdaptorServerSocketFactory.createServerSocket(PlainAda
ptorServerSocketFactory.java:26)
        at
mx4j.adaptor.http.HttpAdaptor.createServerSocket(HttpAdaptor.java:687)
        at mx4j.adaptor.http.HttpAdaptor.start(HttpAdaptor.java:502)
        at
mx4j.server.ReflectedMBeanInvoker.invokeImpl(ReflectedMBeanInvoker.java:
117)
        at
mx4j.server.ReflectedMBeanInvoker.invoke(ReflectedMBeanInvoker.java:55)
        at
mx4j.server.interceptor.InvokerMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(InvokerMBea
nServerInterceptor.java:228)
        at
mx4j.server.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(DefaultMBea
nServerInterceptor.java:123)
        at
mx4j.server.interceptor.SecurityMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(SecurityMB
eanServerInterceptor.java:78)
        at
mx4j.server.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(DefaultMBea
nServerInterceptor.java:123)
        at
mx4j.server.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(DefaultMBea
nServerInterceptor.java:123)
        at
mx4j.server.interceptor.ContextClassLoaderMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(
ContextClassLoaderMBeanServerInterceptor.java:144)
        at mx4j.server.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:1308)
        at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.manager.MX4JSystemManager.configure
HttpAdaptor(MX4JSystemManager.java:124)
        at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.manager.MX4JSystemManager.initializ
e(MX4JSystemManager.java:101)
        at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.initialize(Container
Util.java:235)
        at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.setupCompo
nent(DefaultEmbeddor.java:531)
        at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.setupCompo
nents(DefaultEmbeddor.java:507)
        at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.initialize
(DefaultEmbeddor.java:200)
        at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.initialize(Container
Util.java:235)
        at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.frontends.CLIMain.startup(CLIMain.java:194)
        at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.frontends.CLIMain.execute(CLIMain.java:122)
        at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.frontends.CLIMain.main(CLIMain.java:102)
        at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.launcher.Main.startup(Main.java:94)
        at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:46)

I don't have any other servers running.

Does anybody have an idea?

Thanks in advance

Regards
Iwan

AW: Unable to start james on RH Linux 8.0

Posted by Iwan Bussmann <bu...@gmx.net>.
Hi all

I solved the problem: It was a wrong configuration of localhost in
/etc/hosts
Now it works fine!

Regards
Iwan

[...]

For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

RE: Unable to start james on RH Linux 8.0

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> java.net.BindException: Die angeforderte Adresse kann nicht zugewiesen
werden

It appears that you failed to start James as root.  The standard ports for
Internet messaging protocols are all secure (< 1024) to prevent spoofing.

	--- Noel