Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Harsha Chintalapani <ka...@harsha.io> on 2016/10/25 21:16:12 UTC

[VOTE] Add REST Server to Apache Kafka

Hi All,
           We are proposing to have a REST Server as part of  Apache Kafka
to provide producer/consumer/admin APIs. We Strongly believe having
REST server functionality with Apache Kafka will help a lot of users.
Here is the KIP that Mani Kumar wrote
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-80:+Kafka+Rest+Server.
There is a discussion thread in dev list that had differing opinions on
whether to include REST server in Apache Kafka or not. You can read more
about that in this thread
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/kafka-dev/201610.mbox/%3CCAMVt_AyMqeuDM39ZnSXGKtPDdE46sowmqhsXoP-+JMBCUV74Dw@mail.gmail.com%3E

          This is a VOTE thread to check interest in the community for
adding REST Server implementation in Apache Kafka.

Thanks,
Harsha

Re: [VOTE] Add REST Server to Apache Kafka

Posted by Roger Hoover <ro...@gmail.com>.
-1

I think a good set of HTTP APIs can simplify client implementations and
allow for easier integration with Kafka as well as simpler ops/admin
tools.  Elasticsearch is a great example.  However, I think it's too early
to put this into the core.  The existing Kafka REST proxies (that I know
of) are based on HTTP 1.1 and require base64 encoding of binary data.  I
hope/suspect that we will see HTTP2-based Kafka-proxies but they should be
external to the core project for rapid experimentation.  Maybe someday, we
can standardize on one.  As an example, even if we decide to support HTTP
2, we still need a message framing spec on top of it.  gRPC is an option
but who knows what else will emerge.  Then there's metadata serialization
(Protobuf for gRPC).  It will be hard to get everyone to agree on these and
we probably don't need to all agree on them at this point.

For reference,
- this is the PubSub gRPC spec:  https://github.com/
googleapis/googleapis/blob/master/google/pubsub/v1/pubsub.proto
- this is the message framing spec for gRPC on top of HTTP2 -
http://www.grpc.io/docs/guides/wire.html

Delimited-Message → Compressed-Flag Message-Length Message
Compressed-Flag → 0 / 1 # encoded as 1 byte unsigned integer
Message-Length → {length of Message} # encoded as 4 byte unsigned integer
Message → *{binary octet}

Cheers,

Roger

Posted by Jaikiran Pai <ja...@gmail.com>.
-1.

Posted by Guruditta Golani <gg...@hortonworks.com>.
+1

supporting this natively will help immensely in building operational tools on top of it and augment ease of use cases in large deployments.

-Guru
Re: [VOTE] Add REST Server to Apache Kafka

Posted by Guruditta Golani <gg...@hortonworks.com>.
+1

Posted by Dana Powers <da...@gmail.com>.
-1

Posted by Dana Powers <da...@gmail.com>.
-1

Posted by Shekar Tippur <ct...@gmail.com>.
+1

Thanks

Re: [VOTE] Add REST Server to Apache Kafka

Posted by Shekar Tippur <ct...@gmail.com>.
+1

Thanks

Re: [VOTE] Add REST Server to Apache Kafka

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
Sorry a typo. -1 instead.

Thanks,

Jun

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
Sorry a typo. -1 instead.

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
+1

Posted by parth brahmbhatt <br...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Posted by parth brahmbhatt <br...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Posted by Ben Davison <be...@7digital.com>.
I'm going to change my vote to a -1, great points made by all.

(Although I would want to have another discussion around a "management"
REST endpoint for Kafka, I think there would be value in that)

--

This email, including attachments, is private and confidential. If you have
received this email in error please notify the sender and delete it from

7digital Limited. Registered office: 69 Wilson Street, London EC2A 2BB.
Registered in England and Wales. Registered No. 04843573.

Re: [VOTE] Add REST Server to Apache Kafka

Posted by Samuel Taylor <st...@square-root.com>.
-1

Posted by Jan Filipiak <Ja...@trivago.com>.

Posted by Jan Filipiak <Ja...@trivago.com>.
So happy to see this reply.

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@confluent.io>.
-1

Posted by Hugo Picado <hu...@gmail.com>.
-1

From my experience, nothing good comes from merges similar to this one, as
it has huge implications in terms of codebase maintenance, CD pipeline
duration and stability as well as isolated testability. I don't see any
particular worth benefit on having the REST server in the core repository
as it is reasonably decoupled in design and have well defined
responsibilities. Also, I can't foresee any particular issue at the present
moment on keeping REST server right where it stands and contribute into it.
If then governance happens to be an observed issue, this can be
reconsidered again.

Best regards,
Hugo.

Posted by "Matthias J. Sax" <ma...@confluent.io>.

- -1

Kafka offers a protocol clients can implement, and REST server is only
one of many clients. If we include REST, we need to include any other
client, too, which seems not to be reasonable to me.

- -Matthias

Posted by Harsha Ch <ha...@gmail.com>.
Neha,
         As I stated in my earlier email . This is an interest check
vote thread and , not a KIP vote thread, to gather input from users mailing
list if there is any interest for REST server to be part of Kafka. Also,
this has been noted in the discuss thread that we should make a interest
vote thread to include users list .

Thanks,
Harsha

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@confluent.io>.
Harsha -- Thanks for clarifying but I had noticed that and still gave those
suggestions.

Calling a VOTE thread on a discussion when there are varied viewpoints is
never something this community has resorted to. The optics of it force
binary decision making when in reality there are several tradeoffs to
consider (Ewen summarized those really well in his recent email). I think a
discussion on each of the points is worthwhile which is something a
conversation would allow us to do.

Neha

Re: [VOTE] Add REST Server to Apache Kafka

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.

wrote:

> [...]
> > something that works right? To me, this already is a big reason why the
> > Apache argument doesn't make sense.
> >
> > Regarding the governance worries -- If you are worried about governance,
> > why not first try to contribute, hit roadblocks around project direction
> > and then raise concerns around governance? Doing that prematurely is
> > solving a hypothetical problem and we need to invest time in solving real
> > problems.
> >

> > On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 5:30 PM Haohui Mai <ri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > +1
> > >
> > > In my personal experience Kafka REST server is one of essential parts
> on
> > > building a reliable real-time pipeline. It's okay to keep the code
> > > reasonably separated from the core, but would appreciate to see some
> > > official supports for the REST servers from the Kafka community.

Ewen

Re: [VOTE] Add REST Server to Apache Kafka

Posted by Harsha Chintalapani <ka...@harsha.io>.
Neha,

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@confluent.io>.
-1

> [...]

> > > Hi All,
> > >            We are proposing to have a REST Server as part of  Apache
> > Kafka
> > > to provide producer/consumer/admin APIs. We Strongly believe having
> > > REST server functionality with Apache Kafka will help a lot of users.
> > > Here is the KIP that Mani Kumar wrote
> > > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-
> > > 80:+Kafka+Rest+Server.
> > > There is a discussion thread in dev list that had differing opinions on
> > > whether to include REST server in Apache Kafka or not. You can read
> more
> > > about that in this thread
> > >
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/kafka-dev/201610.mbox/%3CCAMVt_
> > > AyMqeuDM39ZnSXGKtPDdE46sowmqhsXoP-+JMBCUV74Dw@mail.gmail.com%3E
> > >
> > >           This is a VOTE thread to check interest in the community for
> > > adding REST Server implementation in Apache Kafka.

Neha

Re: [VOTE] Add REST Server to Apache Kafka

Posted by Haohui Mai <ri...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
-1

Posted by Harsha Chintalapani <ka...@harsha.io>.
This Vote now closed. There is the majority who are not in favor of
including the REST server.
Thanks everyone for participating.

Vote tally:

+1 Votes:
    Harsha Chintalapani
    Parth Brahbhatt
    Ken Jackson
    Suresh Srinivas
    Jungtaek Lim
    Ali Akthar
    Haohui Mai
    Shekhar Tippur
    Guruditta Golani

-1 Votes:
   Jay Kreps
   Ben Davidson
   Jeff Widman
   Stevo Slavic
   Sriram Subramanian
   Craig W
   Jun Rao
   Ismael Juma
   Matthias J. Sax
   Neha Narkhede
   Jan Filipiak
   Ofir Manor
   Samuel Taylor
   Dana Powers
   Zakee
   Andrew Otto
   Hugo Picado
   Jaikiran Pai
   Roger Hoover
   Gwen Shapira

Thanks,
Harsha

Posted by Harsha Chintalapani <ka...@harsha.io>.

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.

--
*Gwen Shapira*
Product Manager | Confluent

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.

--
*Gwen Shapira*
Product Manager | Confluent

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.
-1

--
*Gwen Shapira*
Product Manager | Confluent

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@confluent.io>.
-1

Posted by Ofir Manor <of...@equalum.io>.
-1
First, I think there was no technical discussion of the KIP details in the
DISCUSS until now, just a binary yes/no. Real discussion just started with
the excellent ten technical points from Ewen a few hours ago.
Generally,I don't see how a standard REST makes sense for format-agnostic
realtime streaming. It would likely be a poor choice for any high-volume
messaging, and encouraging its usage instead of the existing native clients
(or promoting it as an equivalent alternative) is likely a mistake and will
hurt users.
For those needing that functionality, they can get it today and can also
participate in that ecosystem project (or fork it).

Ofir Manor

Co-Founder & CTO | Equalum

Mobile: +972-54-7801286 | Email: ofir.manor@equalum.io

Posted by Ben Davison <be...@7digital.com>.
+ 1

Posted by Ken Jackson <kj...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Harsha Chintalapani <ka...@harsha.io>.
Jeff,

Posted by Stevo Slavić <ss...@gmail.com>.
-1

Posted by Jeff Widman <je...@netskope.com>.
-1

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
+1

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.
-1

--
*Gwen Shapira*
Product Manager | Confluent

Posted by Andrew Otto <ot...@wikimedia.org>.
-1 for http kafka client in core

Although a read only management interface, perhaps via http, sounds kinda
useful for things like health checks as mentioned.

Posted by Andrew Otto <ot...@wikimedia.org>.

Posted by Zakee <kz...@netzero.net>.
-1

Posted by Zakee <kz...@netzero.net>.