Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/09 18:40:10 UTC

Integrating the Geronimo 2.2 version upgrades

Moving to a new thread…

On Dec 9, 2011, at 4:15 AM, Trygve Sanne Hardersen wrote:

> How are we going to proceed with integrating the changes I've submitted so far to the main source? I'm not sure whether you want them applied as a whole, or if it's better to split them into more manageable parts first? Should I take charge of this process, or is someone else already working of this? The patches are attached to GERONIMO-6217.

Thanks for asking. Was planning to start a discussion, yesterday, but didn't get to it…

I think it would be great for you to start applying the updates.

In general -- if things could be separated out a bit, that would be great. For instance, all of the ActiveMQ upgrades in one commit, etc… This makes it easier to review the changes, better SVN history (if there are bugs at some future time), .... If that's relatively easy to do, then let's go that way. If it's going to generate a fair amount of work for you, go with the big bang approach. I'm guessing that it will be a fair amount of work. And will be just fine with a big commit.

Input from others?

--kevan

Re: Integrating the Geronimo 2.2 version upgrades

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 9, 2011, at 5:52 PM, Trygve Sanne Hardersen wrote:

> I agree the best solution is to split things up. This is more work right now, but maybe not in the long run. Like you mention bugs will happen in the future, and having to check against the "big upgrade" isn't a compelling task. Changes with specific JIRAs will be easier for the community to consider, and generate an understandable changelog.
>
> I haven't committed to Apache before and starting with this in a single shot isn't tempting, though I don't expect any problems.
>
> If nobody objects I'll start with the upgraded GShell and create a JIRA for it. This is independent and isolated as it is.

Sounds good to me. Thanks Trygve.

Posted by Trygve Sanne Hardersen <tr...@hypobytes.com>.
I agree the best solution is to split things up. This is more work right
now, but maybe not in the long run. Like you mention bugs will happen in
the future, and having to check against the "big upgrade" isn't
a compelling task. Changes with specific JIRAs will be easier for the
community to consider, and generate an understandable changelog.

I haven't committed to Apache before and starting with this in a single
shot isn't tempting, though I don't expect any problems.

If nobody objects I'll start with the upgraded GShell and create a JIRA for
it. This is independent and isolated as it is.

Trygve