Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Matt Larson <sw...@ldnet.org> on 2007/04/08 21:25:08 UTC

Tap 4.1.1 problem: async direct link returns empty ajax response

I have just run into a problem that I think is probably a bug, but may
be something that I am doing wrong.  It's definitely a showstopper in my
app, though.

I have a component that allows users to rate something via the normal
kind of "stars" rating.  After a user clicks a star the overall rating
of the object is calculated and displayed as a graphic.  I use a
component that employs an asynchronous DirectLink to do this, with each
star having a different value on submit, and it works quite nicely.  I
have this custom component on two different pages and I can submit
ratings on both.

However, I just added pagination, and as soon as you move off of the
home page via the "next" pagination link, the DirectLink for ratings no
longer returns anything. The pagination works using the standard kind of
"start from" parameter, which calls a listener that simply does
setStartFrom(int startFrom) and then lets the pageBeginRender() method
calculate the objects to display.

I do know the reason that the ratings no longer show the updated
graphic--the AjaxResponse just returns empty tags, with no errors
reported at all (had a look at this with firebug):

<ajax-response></ajax-response>

The actual link is firing just fine, and all of the server side
processing happens as my logs show. It's just that the ajax response is
empty when it should include new HTML for the <div>s to be updated.  It
seems like there is some kind of setup that happens when you go directly
to Home.html and click the rating link, but not when I've gone to the
home page via a DirectLink.  I cannot see what would be different, since
my pageBeginRender() method is called, and everything else happens just
like it should in the component and in the page.

If anyone has run into this before or has an idea regarding what this
might cause an async DirectLink to return nothing in some cases, please
let me know.  The pagination is a major part of my app, and users need
to be able to submit ratings no matter which page they are on, so I am
kind of dead in the water until I get this fixed.  Next step is to spend
quality time with the source code, but if anyone has a better idea
before I take that time...

Cheers,
Matt

Re: Tap 4.1.1 problem: async direct link returns empty ajax response

Posted by Matt Larson <sw...@ldnet.org>.
Sorry for the long interval on this discussion--needed time to try to
understand this problem a bit more.  I am wondering if Jesse or anyone
else can shed a little more light on the empty ajax response problem I
am having, which is a showstopper for my app.

Using the example below (<div jwcid="div1@Any" >) did not work to add
the "div1" component to the list of components returned by
getPage().getComponents(), which is why the
"page.components.div1.clientId" expression fails.  What I found was that
@Any components are not added to the component list if they are inside
components themselves.  If I put an @Any component on the main container
page with an ID, it showed up in the page.components list, but not if it
was within my component.

So I guess the question is, is there a way to get the <div
jwcid="div1@Any" > component to show up in the page.components list? And
if it did show up there, would it be found in the list that is returned
by the _cycle.renderStackIterator() in the DojoAjaxResponseBuilder class
that I think is doing this work? I see that the method

boolean contains(IComponent target, String id)

looks through the list returned by renderStackIterator() to try and find
a matching clientId, so I guess that is what is failing in my case.

Also, I am still wondering why this works so nicely when I go directly
to the containing page (it's my Home page) but not if I use a DirectLink
with a listener to update some values in my Home page and then rerender
it?  Is there a call I can make to ensure that the Home page thinks it
was called as Home.html rather than through a DirectLink?  I think it
needs to do some kind of setup that it doesn't do via a DirectLink.

Thanks for the help,
Matt

PS. Some named components within other components did show up in the
page.components list, such as a @For component I used in my .jwc file to
see the page.components list:

<component id="listComponents" type="For">
        <binding name="source" value="ognl:page.components.keySet()"/>
        <binding name="value" value="ognl:myComponent"/>
</component>

Searching through the list archives a bit, I saw a few suggestions that
this was related to the fact that @For extends the FormComponent class,
which sounded plausible but I did not experiment with this enough to
confirm.

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> >> <component id="div1" type="Any">
> >>     <binding name="id" value="ognl:'ratingStars' + hunch.id"/>
> >> </component>
> >>
> >>     <component id="div2" type="Any">
> >>         <binding name="id" value="ognl:'ratingImage' + hunch.id"/>
> >>     </component>
> >>
> >> These are used to display the <div>s in the .html file, which will be
> >> updated by the asynchronous DirectLink.
> >>
> >> Then in my DirectLink component:
> >>
> >> <a jwcid="@DirectLink"
> >>             listener="listener:submitRatingAjax"
> >>             async="ognl:true"
> >>             updateComponents="ognl:{'ratingImage' +
> >> hunch.id,'ratingStars' + hunch.id}">...</a>
> >>
> >> If you or anyone else can help direct me to the right way to get the
> >> clientIds for components for use within the updateComponents parameter,
> >> that would be greatly appreciated.  I have looked at the source code and
> >> APIs but so far that hasn't cleared it up.

Jesse Kuhnert
Tapestry/Dojo team member/developer

Re: Tap 4.1.1 problem: async direct link returns empty ajax response

Posted by Matt Larson <sw...@ldnet.org>.
Hi Jesse,

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Larson <sw...@ldnet.org>.