Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by salemi <al...@udo.edu> on 2013/11/12 17:24:57 UTC

Does AMQ have built-in routing?

Hi All,

We have 160 queues and each of them is connected to a consumer. We would
like to distribute the incoming messages among those queues.

The routing algorithm we use is very simple as followed.

Math.abs(aPropertyInMessage.hashCode()) % 160;

Does AMQ have built-int routing? Is there a way to put the routing code in
AMQ?

Thanks,
Ali

Re: Does AMQ have built-in routing?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
That all depends on your configuration, message size, hardware, etc.

Posted by salemi <al...@udo.edu>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
You might want to look into Message Groups:

http://activemq.apache.org/message-groups.html

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.
For what you are describing, why not have a low prefetch and concurrent consumers?
AMQ will happily load balance.

/je

Posted by Robert Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
Have a look at ActiveMQ 5.9 and the Broker Camel Component - see http://activemq.apache.org/broker-camel-component.html

On 12 Nov 2013, at 16:24, salemi <al...@udo.edu> wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> We have 160 queues and each of them is connected to a consumer. We would
> like to distribute the incoming messages among those queues.
>
> The routing algorithm we use is very simple as followed.
>
> Math.abs(aPropertyInMessage.hashCode()) % 160;
>
> Does AMQ have built-int routing? Is there a way to put the routing code in
> AMQ?
>
> Thanks,
> Ali

Rob Davies
Red Hat, Inc
Twitter: rajdavies
Blog: http://rajdavies.blogspot.com

Re: Does AMQ have built-in routing?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Why not have 160 competing consumers on one queue?