Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Rick Tessner <ri...@dingle.myra.com> on 2000/09/15 23:31:04 UTC

Re: Newbie : Creating XML docs via an application (ie. non-manual)

Thanks Ed!

I've been looking at the Castor site and looks very promising indeed.
Pretty much exactly what I'd be looking for.

Next question for this list is then:

  Does anyone out there have any experience (good or bad) with Castor
  or Avalon??  Any gotcha's that you've run into?  (Licensing, portability,
  learning curve, etc)

--
Rick Tessner	rick@myra.com
MYRA Systems Corp. Fone: (250) 381 1335 x125  Phax: (250) 381 1304

"Hmmm.  They have the Internet on computers now!"

Re: Newbie : Creating XML docs via an application (ie. non-manual)

Posted by Rod McChesney <ro...@expressaction.com>.
I'm using Castor for mapping to/from our own DTDs. It works great.
Besides XML mapping it includes database and LDAP mappings, which were
not of interest to me, but I could ignore them. The mapping file
syntax format is quite straightforward.

You handle parent-child relationships by exposing a Vector attribute in
the parent, to which child objects get added. That is a little strange
(I'd prefer an addFoo method to be called) but it works OK.

The error messages it generates are usually good. In one case in which
a message was not enough to diagnose an error, I was able to go
through source and find the problem pretty easily.

So, I'm definitely a fan...

Rod McChesney