Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Rakesh Patel <ra...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/08 15:15:12 UTC

Controlling loggers remotely

Hi,

I have a setup of log4j working quite well. I wanted to know if it was
possible to selectively change logger levels.

I know there is a servlet in cvs to do this. Is there any other way?
Perhaps Chainsaw?

If not, I'm thinking of writing a JSP based one - the servlet in cvs is
quite old.

Thanks

Rakesh

Re: Controlling loggers remotely

Posted by Charles Tuckey <ch...@tuckey.ca>.
LogWeb looks like a very useful tool. I can see that the same idea
could be used for Eclipse RCP applications. Does anyone know if there
is an Eclipse plugin available for configuring log4j? Preferably, it
would install in the Preferences page.

charlie

On 12/8/05, Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com> wrote:

> LogWeb may be useful to you...
>
> http://www.codeczar.com/products/logweb/
>
> This lets you configure Log4j via a web interface.  I've found it quite useful!
>
> Or, actually, if you use a SocketAppender and log everything (or, at least, a
> large subset of categories) to DEBUG, you can capture the logging in Chainsaw
> and use it to filter what categories you see, what levels you see, etc...
>
> There are also some non-free solutions out there as well.
>
> Jake
>

> Quoting Rakesh Patel <ra...@gmail.com>:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a setup of log4j working quite well. I wanted to know if it was
> > possible to selectively change logger levels.
> >
> > I know there is a servlet in cvs to do this. Is there any other way?
> > Perhaps Chainsaw?
> >
> > If not, I'm thinking of writing a JSP based one - the servlet in cvs is
> > quite old.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Rakesh

    Charlie

Re: Controlling loggers remotely

Posted by Charles Tuckey <ct...@gmail.com>.
LogWeb looks like a very useful tool. I can see that the same idea
could be used for Eclipse RCP applications. Does anyone know if there
is an Eclipse plugin available for configuring log4j? Preferably, it
would install in the Preferences page.

charlie

On 12/8/05, Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com> wrote:

> LogWeb may be useful to you...
>
> http://www.codeczar.com/products/logweb/
>
> This lets you configure Log4j via a web interface.  I've found it quite useful!
>
> Or, actually, if you use a SocketAppender and log everything (or, at least, a
> large subset of categories) to DEBUG, you can capture the logging in Chainsaw
> and use it to filter what categories you see, what levels you see, etc...
>
> There are also some non-free solutions out there as well.
>
> Jake
>

> Quoting Rakesh Patel <ra...@gmail.com>:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a setup of log4j working quite well. I wanted to know if it was
> > possible to selectively change logger levels.
> >
> > I know there is a servlet in cvs to do this. Is there any other way?
> > Perhaps Chainsaw?
> >
> > If not, I'm thinking of writing a JSP based one - the servlet in cvs is
> > quite old.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Rakesh

    Charlie

Re: Controlling loggers remotely

Posted by Charles Tuckey <ch...@tuckey.ca>.

Jake said:

LogWeb may be useful to you...

http://www.codeczar.com/products/logweb/

This lets you configure Log4j via a web interface.  I've found it quite useful!

Or, actually, if you use a SocketAppender and log everything (or, at least, a
large subset of categories) to DEBUG, you can capture the logging in Chainsaw
and use it to filter what categories you see, what levels you see, etc...

There are also some non-free solutions out there as well.

Jake

Quoting Rakesh Patel <ra...@gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I have a setup of log4j working quite well. I wanted to know if it was
> possible to selectively change logger levels.
>
> I know there is a servlet in cvs to do this. Is there any other way?
> Perhaps Chainsaw?
>
> If not, I'm thinking of writing a JSP based one - the servlet in cvs is
> quite old.
>
> Thanks
>
> Rakesh

    Charlie

Re: Controlling loggers remotely

Posted by Charles Tuckey <ct...@gmail.com>.
LogWeb looks like a very useful tool. I can see that the same idea
could be used for Eclipse RCP applications. Does anyone know if there
is an Eclipse plugin available for configuring log4j? Preferably, it
would install in the Preferences page.

charlie

On 12/8/05, Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com> wrote:

> LogWeb may be useful to you...
>
> http://www.codeczar.com/products/logweb/
>
> This lets you configure Log4j via a web interface.  I've found it quite useful!
>
> Or, actually, if you use a SocketAppender and log everything (or, at least, a
> large subset of categories) to DEBUG, you can capture the logging in Chainsaw
> and use it to filter what categories you see, what levels you see, etc...
>
> There are also some non-free solutions out there as well.
>
> Jake
>

> Quoting Rakesh Patel <ra...@gmail.com>:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a setup of log4j working quite well. I wanted to know if it was
> > possible to selectively change logger levels.
> >
> > I know there is a servlet in cvs to do this. Is there any other way?
> > Perhaps Chainsaw?
> >
> > If not, I'm thinking of writing a JSP based one - the servlet in cvs is
> > quite old.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Rakesh

    Charlie