Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Williams, Robert E" <Ro...@maine.gov> on 2008/02/27 14:15:31 UTC

svnload from win to linux

Hello,

I created a dump file (svnadmin dump) from a mapped windows drive,
putting the dump file down on my c: drive.  I then attempt to use the
following to load the file into a fresh repository on a different
machine (SVN running under Linux):

svnadmin load  //<server_ip_address>//<path_to_new_repo>

The error message is:

svnadmin: Can't open file
'\\<server_ip_address>\<path_to_new_repo>\format' : Access is denied.

I have reviewed the files authz, passwd, and svnserve.conf to check on
permissions, and have even given write privileges to anon (for the time
being). And still get this message.  Also have accessed the Linux
repository via Tortoise.

Looking through the book, there does not seem to be arguments to give
svnadmin load for user credentials.

Do we have to FTP the dump file up to the Linux box and then do the
load?

Thank you for your help,

Robert

RE: svnload from win to linux

Posted by "Williams, Robert E" <Ro...@maine.gov>.
Thank you for setting me straight on this.  I will FTP the dump file to
the Linux box and run the svnadmin command from there.

The interesting thing here is if I do use (from your emails):
	svn://<server_ip_address>...
I do get a warning that a path is needed and not a URL.

When I use (no 'svn:' leading):
	> '\\<server_ip_address>...
I get the message first noted, "Access is denied."

Thanks again for the help with this.

Best Regards,
Robert

Williams, Robert E wrote:
> svnadmin: Can't open file
> '\\<server_ip_address>\<path_to_new_repo>\format' : Access is denied.

svnadmin only operates on the actual repository files (i.e. it has to
access the repository files directly, rather than over svn:// or
http://).  Anywhere in the product help files when REPOS_PATH is used,
it refers to a path to the actual repository files, where URL refers to
a server process.  file:// is actually a URL, even though it also
references the actual repository files.

John

Re: svnload from win to linux

Posted by John Peacock <jo...@havurah-software.org>.