Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net> on 2002/02/21 16:45:08 UTC

mod_jk suggestion, add "request" logging option

Currently mod_jk has four logging levels - (debug,info,error,emerg).

I suggest a fifth log level be added called "request".
(debug, info, request, error, emerg)

This log level would log each request with the following possible info,
what info is logged could be controlled by an new config option
JkLogRequestFormat.

Timestamp
URI
Status (OK, FAIL, etc)
Latency (Time in ms or us to handle request)

And there may be other fields of interest to add to the above list.

I am most interested in using mod_jk to log the request latency for
Tomcat to handle different requests so that statistics can be generated.

Having mod_jk do this instead of Tomcat avoids violating the heisenberg
principal.

Regards,

Glenn

AW: AW: mod_jk suggestion, add "request" logging option

Posted by Hans Schmid <ha...@mega-schmid.de>.

I thought of the host and port of the worker. In our setup we send different
workers to different hosts (even loadbalanced workers) So its easy to see
where
the request was sent to.

But if we can configure, which of the fields we want to see in the log there
can't
be too much availlable :)

Cheers, Hans

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.

Posted by Hans Schmid <Ha...@einsurance.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.
costinm@covalent.net wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Glenn Nielsen wrote:
>
> > Currently mod_jk has four logging levels - (debug,info,error,emerg).
> >
> > I suggest a fifth log level be added called "request".
> > (debug, info, request, error, emerg)
> >
> > This log level would log each request with the following possible info,
> > what info is logged could be controlled by an new config option
> > JkLogRequestFormat.
>
> +1, I don't know if I'll have time to help too much, but it's a good
> idea.
>
> However it may be easier to use the apache logger for that - it
> provides most of the info you need ( the access log ), and if you need
> more it is reasonably easy to add ( i.e. as a contribution to httpd
> project, or just create a new access log module that extends the
> current one. This is general-purpose and used for all requets.

I really think this is better in mod_jk.  The purpose of this is to
gather information about the performance of Tomcat when handling requests.
Multiple requests to Tomcat could be generated by a .shtml page with
multple SSI virtual includes for say JSP pages or servlets.  The idea
is to get request latency statistics for individual requests handled
by Tomcat.

Adding request latency to Apache for page requests is a good idea,
but something separate from gathering Tomcat statistics.

Regards,

Glenn

Re: mod_jk suggestion, add "request" logging option

Posted by co...@covalent.net.
On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Glenn Nielsen wrote:

> Currently mod_jk has four logging levels - (debug,info,error,emerg).
>
> I suggest a fifth log level be added called "request".
> (debug, info, request, error, emerg)
>
> This log level would log each request with the following possible info,
> what info is logged could be controlled by an new config option
> JkLogRequestFormat.

+1, I don't know if I'll have time to help too much, but it's a good
idea.

However it may be easier to use the apache logger for that - it
provides most of the info you need ( the access log ), and if you need
more it is reasonably easy to add ( i.e. as a contribution to httpd
project, or just create a new access log module that extends the
current one. This is general-purpose and used for all requets.

Costin