Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Astor John Pinto <as...@codecraft.co.in> on 2016/09/27 19:45:38 UTC

Websocket endpoint on Tomcat 8

Hi all,

We have been trying to set up a websocket end point on Tomcat 8.

The dependency in the pom.xml is

<dependencies>

        <dependency>

            <groupId>commons-logging</groupId>

            <version>1.2</version>

            <type>jar</type>

            <scope>provided</scope>

        </dependency>

        <dependency>

            <groupId>javax.websocket</groupId>

            <artifactId>javax.websocket-api</artifactId>

            <version>1.0</version>

            <scope>provided</scope>

        </dependency>

    </dependencies>

The handshake and connection works fine, while deploying the war file on
localhost, but the handshake fails when we deploy(using aws elastic
beanstalk) the war file on the Tomcat server.

The handshake (http) url returns a 404 Not Found Error.

What would be going wrong here?

Thanks

Re: Websocket endpoint on Tomcat 8

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Astor,

On 9/27/2016 12:45 PM, Astor John Pinto wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have been trying to set up a websocket end point on Tomcat 8.
>
> The dependency in the pom.xml is
>
> <dependencies>
>
>         <dependency>
>
>             <groupId>commons-logging</groupId>
>
>             <artifactId>commons-logging</artifactId>
>
>             <version>1.2</version>
>
>             <type>jar</type>
>
>             <scope>provided</scope>
>
>         </dependency>
>
>         <dependency>
>
>             <groupId>javax.websocket</groupId>
>
>             <artifactId>javax.websocket-api</artifactId>
>
>             <version>1.0</version>
>
>             <scope>provided</scope>
>
>         </dependency>
>
>     </dependencies>
>
> The handshake and connection works fine, while deploying the war file on
> localhost, but the handshake fails when we deploy(using aws elastic
> beanstalk) the war file on the Tomcat server.
>
> The handshake (http) url returns a 404 Not Found Error.
>
> What would be going wrong here?
>
> Thanks

It's been a while since I've played with the AWS Elastic Beanstalk
Tomcat AMI.

However if I remember correctly, the AMI fronts Tomcat with an Apache
HTTPD server and uses mod-proxy-http to forward requests.

In that case, the websocket connection won't work.

If the AMI is using Apache HTTPD 2.4, then you can possibly use
mod_proxy_wstunnel. It also depends on whether or not mod_proxy_wstunnel
is available on the AMI.

If so, then you'll have to provide the appropriate configuration files
in your Beanstalk bundle when you deploy.

Please note I have not tried any of this. I hope to get back to working
with AWS Elastic Beanstalk in a week or so for $work.

. . . just my two cents
/mde/