Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Unico Hommes <Un...@hippo.nl> on 2003/10/29 15:41:43 UTC

Developing samples

Trying to figure out how to use the Cocoon build system to most
conveniently develop samples I first added a way to invoke an individual
${block.name}-samples target.

If you do:

# build -Dblock.name call-block-samples

The samples of the ${block.name} block will be built into the
build/webapp directory.

If you don't like this and you would rather that the block samples are
mounted directly in the source directory. This is also possible. I
modified the samples/sitemap.xmap so that by starting jetty as follows:

# cocoon -Dsamples.location=source servlet

The samples are mounted from the blocks source directory. Note that
unfortunately I wasn't able to make this work for the core samples as
well so that the system will not be able to find those when you run
jetty with this option.

I think this is probably something that will be useful in general so
I'll commit this change later if noone objects, but I'd like to hear how
others are developing samples. Develop in the build directory and then
copy the changes back into the source tree? Create a mount to the
sitemap in the source directory instead?

Cheers, Unico

Re: Developing samples

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le Mercredi, 29 oct 2003, à 15:41 Europe/Zurich, Unico Hommes a écrit :
>
>> ...I'd like to hear how
>> others are developing samples. Develop in the build directory and then
>> copy the changes back into the source tree?
>

> For samples that don't require compiling (i.e. XSLT or similar stuff), I
> usually setup a simple rsync loop to sync stuff every N seconds from src
> to build/webapp.

I had multiple cases of little tests which I sent down the bitbucket
drain by doing stuff in build/webapp and forgetting to sync afterwards,
and habitually doing an 'rm -rf build' after a cvs update. So yes, you
should try to avoid at all costs to do stuff in your build dir. 'build
webapp' sure takes some time, but in the end it appears to be the most
foolproof method. The thing about 'build webapp' is the annoying 10
second time lapse of the xpatch part, which might be because the it
tries to resolve the URI of the web.xml DTD - this is just a wild guess
however, it might also have to do with the documentation validation step.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Developing samples

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le Mercredi, 29 oct 2003, à 15:41 Europe/Zurich, Unico Hommes a écrit :
> ...I'd like to hear how
> others are developing samples. Develop in the build directory and then
> copy the changes back into the source tree?

For samples that don't require compiling (i.e. XSLT or similar stuff),
I usually setup a simple rsync loop to sync stuff every N seconds from
src to build/webapp.

Not the most sophisticated thing, but works for me!

-Bertrand