Posted to dev@shiro.apache.org by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org> on 2008/12/18 15:52:38 UTC

JSecurity new website

Almost all of our end-user communication is now exclusively on the mailing
lists.  We do have a few 'trickle' posts being made to the forums on the
existing jsecurity.org website, but those have reduced quite a bit in the
last 6 months.

So now the only time the site is really updated with any level of regularity
is when we make some announcement or make a release, both of which don't
happen very often.

Because of this, I'd like to discuss (again) the possibility of the website
being static that one or a few of us update via a tool like Dreamweaver,
which does automatic content sync'ing, instead of the convoluted
Confluence-to-HTML export mechanism that we were trying to do previously.  I
think it was a painful process for Allan and he just stopped trying since he
didn't have a full day or two to spend on it.

I really like the idea that we can totally customize anything we want with
HTML tools (however we want) and was never happy with how the Confluence
export mechanism worked, especially with having to deal with ASF permissions
for site templates, and all that.

So, if I personally spend my time working on website setup, I'd like to
spend it going this route, pending team consensus.

What do you guys think?

Les

P.S.  Why the heck doesn't ASF support Tomcat hosting for its own project
websites?  It sounds totally bizarre to me that we can't deploy a .war for a
dynamic website...

Re: JSecurity new website

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Les Hazlewood wrote:
> Dreamweaver was only an example - all of dreamweaver's files are html files
> that can be edited by hand if one doesn't have the tool.  Or they could use
> another tool entirely...

Last time I did that (ie, using another tool to modify a HTML static
page - ie, using vi -), the site was totally FU.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: JSecurity new website

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Re: JSecurity new website

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: JSecurity new website

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.

Re: JSecurity new website

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>wrote:

> On Dec 18, 2008, at 6:52 AM, Les Hazlewood wrote:
>
>  Almost all of our end-user communication is now exclusively on the mailing
>> lists.  We do have a few 'trickle' posts being made to the forums on the
>> existing jsecurity.org website, but those have reduced quite a bit in the
>> last 6 months.
>>
>> So now the only time the site is really updated with any level of
>> regularity
>> is when we make some announcement or make a release, both of which don't
>> happen very often.
>>
>> Because of this, I'd like to discuss (again) the possibility of the
>> website
>> being static that one or a few of us update via a tool like Dreamweaver,
>> which does automatic content sync'ing, instead of the convoluted
>> Confluence-to-HTML export mechanism that we were trying to do previously.
>> think it was a painful process for Allan and he just stopped trying since
>> he
>> didn't have a full day or two to spend on it.
>>
>> I really like the idea that we can totally customize anything we want with
>> HTML tools (however we want) and was never happy with how the Confluence
>> export mechanism worked, especially with having to deal with ASF
>> permissions
>> for site templates, and all that.
>>
>> So, if I personally spend my time working on website setup, I'd like to
>> spend it going this route, pending team consensus.
>>
>> What do you guys think?
>>

> Don't really care how as publish the website so long as all committers are
> able to do so.
>
> I would love to keep the same high quality as the current site.  I propose
> a hybrid solution where the face pages are static and of high quality.  Then
> developer/user notes, etc. can be on the Confluence generated site.  We need
> a way for non-commiters to participate as well.

These are my sentiments exactly - a nice static site with the ability to
easily access (either pull in or link to) the wiki.

Re: JSecurity new website

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.