Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Ahmad Alawsie <ah...@hotmail.com> on 2018/02/05 23:06:55 UTC

Arabic translation complete for Apache OpenOffice 4.x

Hi all,

I have managed, in the last week or so since registering for the Pootle service, to complete translating & reviewing the last 5000ish words remaining for the Arabic language, and now I am wondering what happens. So on the website: https://www.openoffice.org/ar/ .... it mentions how the translation of the user interface is at 94%, but that is when I joined the Pootle service, and now it is at 100%, so shouldn’t the website mentioned above be updated to announce that the Arabic language will be made available for Apache OpenOffice 4. 1. 5?? And will the Arabic language be made available for the newest version of OpenOffice?????

Kind regards,

Ahmad A

Re: Arabic translation complete for Apache OpenOffice 4.x

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Ahmad,

Am 27.02.2018 um 04:10 schrieb Ahmad Alawsie:
> However, when I went on https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO-builds/AOO-415-Arabic/ and then downloaded the Lang pack file (2nd file down on the list in that website), it initiated the start-up of that file, and i have looked at the Arabic language on the installer window, all looks good as far as I am concerned. Just a couple of spacing and spelling errors that will be fixed ASAP.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I also uploaded a language pack. I think
this is more practical if one has already AOO 4.1.5 installed.

As for the full installation this sounds like an incomplete download for
me... It should have around 129 MB.

Regards,
   Matthias

Posted by Ahmad Alawsie <ah...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Ahmad Alawsie <ah...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Matthias,

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.
Ahmad Alawsie <ah...@hotmail.com> escreveu:

> Andrea: so can you give me instructions on how i would be able to
> test this. If you could give me a step by step guide to test this
> arabic version, i would be glad to help. I’m ready at your service
> for this.

Hi

I'm available to help for Portuguese to.

Regards,
Pedro

Posted by Ahmad Alawsie <ah...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
> On 22/02/2018 Ahmad Alawsie wrote:
>> Andrea, I have windows, so how can we start with this process?
>
> This makes things a bit more complex, but as a first step I (but
> Matthis can do this better than me!) would simply add Arabic to the
> 4.1.5 buildbots; this will not contain your latest fixes, but it's
> important for us to check that we can build Arabic; and you can play
> with it, even though the translation will still be incomplete. The
> next step is then incorporating your fixes.
>
> Matthias: I haven't tried, but I don't expect huge build issues if you
> simply add "ar" to the list of languages at the configure step. We
> haven't built Arabic for a long time, so we totally need to do it to
> allow a native speaker to check how broken the current SDF file is
> (it's probably still from 3.x, but it should work for the 4.1.5 build
> too; it will just miss some strings, so there will be some parts in
> English).

Hi Andrea,

I already tried a local build in Arabic for Windows.
The installation directory is being created but when packaging the
download file with NSIS there is an error.
All I could do is to upload a ZIP of the installation files. I will
start a new build and probably upload tomorrow...

Since the additional packaging with NSIS is unique for Windows a build
for Linux may be successful.
(We use NSIS 3.x since 4.1.3 so that may be a problem)

Additionally I added "ar" to the Windows buildbot and forced a new build.

Regards, Matthias

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ahmad Alawsie <ah...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Forgot to mention that I am a university student...

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 06/02/2018 Ahmad Alawsie wrote:
> I have to contribute to an Open Source project, and that my contributions have to be verified by being accepted. Is there anyway that this can be verified for my professor to see?

If you mean that they must be visible, you already have plenty of
visibility with the web references to our Pootle installation and with
the issues you opened on Github.

If you instead mean that they should get some quality check and become
actually useful, then we will now have to work together to get in
included, as I explained in the other discussion. The first step is for
me (i.e., at least build Arabic for Linux starting from the old files,
so that we can measure the difference). I'll continue the other
conversation when I have something, but it will likely require a few days.

If you need some "official" certification, we can look into it, even
though the best way would probably be to have a blog post on the
OpenOffice blog where we explain your work.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Forgot to mention that I am a university student...

Posted by Ahmad Alawsie <ah...@hotmail.com>.
Hi all,

I know I have been emailing quite a lot and I have been here for a while now, but I just want to point out to the relevant admins/individuals, that I am a 3rd year university student and that I am conducting translation work on this project because this is for my work, and I have to contribute to an Open Source project, and that my contributions have to be verified by being accepted. Is there anyway that this can be verified for my professor to see?

Kind regards,

Ahmad A