Posted to users@maven.apache.org by baleineca <as...@binary42.com> on 2005/02/16 19:58:16 UTC

Download artifacts from remote repo too many times

I have 2 remote repositories listed in the project.properties as value
for maven.repo.remote.

Upon sucessfully downloading an artifact from the first repo, maven
still goes to the second repo, and of course, because the artifact only
resides in the first repo it gets a 404.  This doesn't fail the build,
but makes build time longer.  I think it's unnecessary to try the other
repos on the list if we've successfullly downloaded the artifact.

Is there a setting or something I am missing to prevent this behaviour
or is this just how maven behaves for now?

Re: Download artifacts from remote repo too many times

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
This is correct behaviour, in case there is a newer one on a
repository later in the list.

I believe per-dependency repositories is on consideration for later
versions of Maven. If it isn't in JIRA, feel free to add it.

Cheers,
Brett

Posted by baleineca <as...@binary42.com>.

Rick Mangi wrote:

> Yes, well, that's the nature of the snapshot.
>
> I think (although someone would have to validate this) that you can
> restrict a dependency to a particular repo. So if your snapshot
> dependencies are coming from a known repo you can just check that one.

This would be a good solution.  Can anyone point me to the right direction?

Re: Download artifacts from remote repo too many times

Posted by Rick Mangi <rm...@yahoo.com>.
Yes, well, that's the nature of the snapshot.

I think (although someone would have to validate this) that you can
restrict a dependency to a particular repo. So if your snapshot
dependencies are coming from a known repo you can just check that one.
Otherwise I think you're stuck, the assumption with a snapshot is that
you're looking for the latest and greatest, so there's no way to know
which is the newest unless maven checks all repos.

Posted by baleineca <as...@binary42.com>.

Posted by Rick Mangi <rm...@yahoo.com>.