Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com> on 2019/02/27 08:19:19 UTC

Ant fun: functions.PackageTest is using ../build.xml

Hi,

I've found 3 test cases that use ../build.xml file directly:
https://github.com/apache/jmeter/blob/12ba652f10bb3735a832f7edd75f2c8962268326/test/src/org/apache/jmeter/functions/PackageTest.java#L300
The gold medal goes to sebb who predicted Gradle migration 13 years ago and
added a hard dependency of a test code on Ant build file.

Well, jokes aside, I wonder if those tests are verifying XPathFileContainer
or build.xml or both of them.

I'm inclined to add a small xml file for the test purposes since the tests
do not seem to validate the quality of build.xml

Vladimir

Re: Ant fun: functions.PackageTest is using ../build.xml

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 at 11:28, Vladimir Sitnikov
<si...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I don't think that can be assumed from the commit message.
> > Do you have other reasons for making the assumption?
>
> Source code + my educated guess.

OK.

I have also now looked at the source code, and I agree that the use of
build.xml is not essential to the tests.

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 at 11:04, Vladimir Sitnikov
<si...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > OK by me if the tests don't actually need build.xml.
>
> The comment reads "Move test code to test tree
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/jmeter/branches/rel-2-1@369896"

I see. Unfortunately that does not actually help.

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 at 08:19, Vladimir Sitnikov
<si...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've found 3 test cases that use ../build.xml file directly:
> https://github.com/apache/jmeter/blob/12ba652f10bb3735a832f7edd75f2c8962268326/test/src/org/apache/jmeter/functions/PackageTest.java#L300
> The gold medal goes to sebb who predicted Gradle migration 13 years ago and
> added a hard dependency of a test code on Ant build file.
>
> Well, jokes aside, I wonder if those tests are verifying XPathFileContainer
> or build.xml or both of them.

I suspect it was just that build.xml was a convenient XML file with a
well-defined format.
But this needs to be confirmed by looking at the tests themselves;
perhaps the SVN log message for the initial commit of the test will
also help.