Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by "Brown, Carlton" <Ca...@compucredit.com> on 2008/03/31 15:54:18 UTC

Use case regarding rc promotion

I'm looking for advice regarding a use case regarding promotion of
artifacts in an Ivy environment.  It seems ideal to use the install task
with the transitive option.   However, there is one limitation with
this.   Although you can use renaming rules and transitive installs to
map the naming of the promoted artifact, it seems that the references in
the delivered ivy file would not be updated by any rename rule.

For example - let's say I have a release-candidate repository full of
interdependent artifacts-  for example, moduleBar-2.0.1-rc3 depends on
moduleFoo-4.1.0-rc1.   If I use <ivy:install> with transitive=true and I
have renaming rules in place, then I can easily promote both of these
modules to moduleBar-2.0.1-final and moduleFoo-4.1.0-final.   But even
though moduleFoo-4.0.1-final was installed in the final repository, the
delivered ivy.xml file for moduleBar-2.0.1-final will still show a
dependency on moduleFoo-4.1.0-rc1.    Likewise every other module whose
build resolved its dependencies in the rc repository will still show
those same dependencies in the final repository.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is my understanding of how renaming
rules work.  If there is an easier way to do this, please let me know.

Thanks,
Carlton