Posted to dev@atlas.apache.org by David Radley <da...@uk.ibm.com> on 2017/07/23 09:22:25 UTC

Relationship attributes

Hi Madhan,
When I see the phrase 'relationship attributes', I am never quite sure
whether we are referring to the attributes of an entity that relate to
another entity or the attributes of the relationship instance itself. I
think the phrase ' relationship attributes' more naturally fits as the
attributes of the relationship itself; we are using it in the other sense.

I suggest we change the relationshipAttributes in the entity to
relationships (if you really want attributes in the name we could call it
relatingAttributes)- and use the term 'relationship attributes' purely for
the attributes of the relationship itself. What do you think?
                all the best, David.
Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.

Re: Relationship attributes

Posted by Graham Wallis <gr...@uk.ibm.com>.
Personally I think 'relatedEntities' is clearer.

Best regards,
  Graham

Graham Wallis
IBM Analytics Emerging Technology Center
Internet: graham_wallis@uk.ibm.com
IBM Laboratories, Hursley Park, Hursley, Hampshire SO21 2JN
Tel: +44-1962-815356    Tie: 7-245356

From:   Madhan Neethiraj <ma...@apache.org>
To:     "dev@atlas.apache.org" <de...@atlas.apache.org>, Sarath Subramanian
<sa...@apache.org>
Date:   24/07/2017 09:04
Subject:        Re: Relationship attributes
Sent by:        Madhan Neethiraj <mn...@hortonworks.com>

Current name of ‘relationshipAttributes’ makes sense looking from an
entity point-of-view – it distinguishes regular-attributes of an entity
from attributes injected by relationships. However, given that
relationships can themselves might have attributes, it can be confusing.

I was going to suggest ‘relatedEntities’; but ‘relationships’ seems to be
good choice.

+1 for naming the field as ‘relationships’.

Thanks,
Madhan

On 7/24/17, 12:53 AM, "David Radley" <da...@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

    Hi Sarath,
    Great, personally for the Entity's current relationshipAttributes, I
    prefer relationships as it is simpler - is there a reason you need
    attribute in the name?
         all the best, David.

    From:   Sarath Subramanian <sa...@apache.org>
    To:     dev@atlas.apache.org
    Cc:     Madhan Neethiraj <ma...@apache.org>
    Date:   24/07/2017 07:09

    Hi David,

    I agree with using the term 'relationship attributes' for attributes
of
    relationship, I suggest we use "relatedAttributes" for relationship
    attributes of entity.

    Thanks,
    Sarath Subramanian

    On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 2:22 AM, David Radley
<da...@uk.ibm.com>
    wrote:

    > Hi Madhan,
    > When I see the phrase 'relationship attributes', I am never quite
sure
    > whether we are referring to the attributes of an entity that relate
    > another entity or the attributes of the relationship instance
itself. I
    > think the phrase ' relationship attributes' more naturally fits as
the
    > attributes of the relationship itself; we are using it in the other
    sense.

    > I suggest we change the relationshipAttributes in the entity to
    > relationships (if you really want attributes in the name we could
call
    it
    > relatingAttributes)- and use the term 'relationship attributes'
purely
    for
    > the attributes of the relationship itself. What do you think?
    >                 all the best, David.
    > Unless stated otherwise above:
number
    > 741598.
    > Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth, Hampshire
PO6
    3AU

    Unless stated otherwise above:
    IBM United Kingdom Limited - Registered in England and Wales with

Posted by David Radley <da...@uk.ibm.com>.
Hi Madhan,
A couple of questions about this approach.

1)   When you say  AtlasRelatedObjectId or
Collection<AtlasRelatedObjectId> as the relationship type - are you
suggesting we should support both ? I cannot think of a case where we
might need the Collection.
2) On displayText - I was talking with Mandy. she brought up the point
that the entity level should not be concerned with what is displayed and
what is not. This is an OMAS consideration. At the entity level if the
qualified name was shown as part of the unique attributes in the
AtlasObjectId; this would work for my use case. I have raised this in Jira
1991. I suggest we remove displayText from AtlasRelatedObjectId.

I am OK with this suggestion if the above 2 points are addressed.

    all the best, David.

From:   Madhan Neethiraj <ma...@apache.org>
To:     David Radley <da...@uk.ibm.com>, Graham Wallis
<gr...@uk.ibm.com>, Sarath Subramanian <sa...@apache.org>
Cc:     "dev@atlas.apache.org" <de...@atlas.apache.org>
Date:   24/07/2017 23:57
Sent by:        Madhan Neethiraj <mn...@hortonworks.com>

David,

I would suggest going with the following:

class AtlasEntity {
  // ...
  Map<String, Object> attributes;
  // ...
  Map<String, Object> relationships; // Object type can be either
AtlasRelatedObjectId or Collection<AtlasRelatedObjectId>
}

class AtlasRelatedObjectId extends AtlasObjectId {
  String      relationshipGuid;
  AtlasStruct relationshipInfo; // has 2 members: typeName, attributes
  String      displayText;
}

Thanks,
Madhan

On 7/24/17, 8:42 AM, "David Radley" <da...@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

    Hi Madhan,
    I agree with you that AtlasRelationshipObjectId could be confusing;
good
    point.

    I am thinking
    - relatedEntities is a good name if we want to focus on the target
    entities; in this case it makes sense to extend the objectid - as this

    focuses on the target entity. I think this might be a bit confusing as

    there could be multiple relationships to the same target guid. The
type
    and guid that we inherit has no context; we need to know that they
refer
    to the target entity.
    - relationships is a good name if we want to focus on the
relationship; in
    that case it makes sense to the have the relationship specific
information
    as top level and the referred to entity as embedded; which gives
context
    to the guid and type. The content is effectively one ends view of the
    relationship.

    I can see both ways; I am marginally on the relationship rather than
    referredEntities; as you will have seen I have coded this up based on
your
    +1! I can redo this if the you and the community prefer the
    relatedEntities.

     all the best, David

    From:   Madhan Neethiraj <ma...@apache.org>
    To:     David Radley <da...@uk.ibm.com>, "dev@atlas.apache.org"

    <de...@atlas.apache.org>
    Cc:     Sarath Subramanian <sa...@apache.org>, Graham Wallis
    <gr...@uk.ibm.com>
    Date:   24/07/2017 16:16
    Sent by:        Madhan Neethiraj <mn...@hortonworks.com>

    As I said earlier, I prefer “relatedEntities” – as this name states
that
    the values in this attributes are references to entities. I think
    “relationships” is good as well. However, I would prefer to use
    “AtlasRelatedObjectId” instead of “AtlasRelationshipObjectId” – as
    “RelationshipObjectId” might be confused with an instance of a
    relationship. Also, I think we should have “AtlasRelatedObjectId”
extend
    “AtlasObjectId” (instead of embedding as an attribute).

    Thanks,
    Madhan

    From: David Radley <da...@uk.ibm.com>
    Date: Monday, July 24, 2017 at 3:39 AM
    To: "dev@atlas.apache.org" <de...@atlas.apache.org>
    Cc: Madhan Neethiraj <mn...@hortonworks.com>, Sarath Subramanian
    <sa...@apache.org>, Graham Wallis <gr...@uk.ibm.com>

    Hi all,
    I have just had a chat with Graham. we are thinking that we should go
with
    relationships as the top level name. We also think we could helpfully
add
    in the related entity in the new class like this:

    class AtlasRelationshipObjectId  {
       AtlasObjectId relatedEntity;
      String relationshipGuid;
      AtlasStruct relationshipAttributes;
    }

    I think this gives us the best of both worlds,
               regards David.

    From:        Graham Wallis <gr...@uk.ibm.com>
    To:        dev@atlas.apache.org
    Cc:        Madhan Neethiraj <mn...@hortonworks.com>, Sarath
    Subramanian <sa...@apache.org>
    Date:        24/07/2017 09:58

       From:   Sarath Subramanian <sa...@apache.org>
       To:     dev@atlas.apache.org
       Cc:     Madhan Neethiraj <ma...@apache.org>
       Date:   24/07/2017 07:09

Posted by Madhan Neethiraj <ma...@apache.org>.
David,

I would suggest going with the following:

class AtlasEntity {
  // ...
  Map<String, Object> attributes;
  // ...
  Map<String, Object> relationships; // Object type can be either AtlasRelatedObjectId or Collection<AtlasRelatedObjectId>
}

    From:   Madhan Neethiraj <ma...@apache.org>
    To:     David Radley <da...@uk.ibm.com>, "dev@atlas.apache.org"
    <de...@atlas.apache.org>
    Cc:     Sarath Subramanian <sa...@apache.org>, Graham Wallis
    <gr...@uk.ibm.com>

    From:        Graham Wallis <gr...@uk.ibm.com>
    To:        dev@atlas.apache.org
    Cc:        Madhan Neethiraj <mn...@hortonworks.com>, Sarath
    Subramanian <sa...@apache.org>
    Date:        24/07/2017 09:58

       From:   Sarath Subramanian <sa...@apache.org>
       To:     dev@atlas.apache.org
       Cc:     Madhan Neethiraj <ma...@apache.org>
       Date:   24/07/2017 07:09

From:   Madhan Neethiraj <ma...@apache.org>
To:     David Radley <da...@uk.ibm.com>, "dev@atlas.apache.org"
<de...@atlas.apache.org>
Cc:     Sarath Subramanian <sa...@apache.org>, Graham Wallis
<gr...@uk.ibm.com>

From:        Graham Wallis <gr...@uk.ibm.com>
To:        dev@atlas.apache.org
Cc:        Madhan Neethiraj <mn...@hortonworks.com>, Sarath
Subramanian <sa...@apache.org>
Date:        24/07/2017 09:58

   From:   Sarath Subramanian <sa...@apache.org>
   To:     dev@atlas.apache.org
   Cc:     Madhan Neethiraj <ma...@apache.org>
   Date:   24/07/2017 07:09

Posted by Madhan Neethiraj <ma...@apache.org>.

   From:   Sarath Subramanian <sa...@apache.org>
   To:     dev@atlas.apache.org
   Cc:     Madhan Neethiraj <ma...@apache.org>
   Date:   24/07/2017 07:09

    From:   Sarath Subramanian <sa...@apache.org>
    To:     dev@atlas.apache.org
    Cc:     Madhan Neethiraj <ma...@apache.org>
    Date:   24/07/2017 07:09

Posted by Nigel L Jones <jo...@uk.ibm.com>.
I'm good with relatedEntities
 - relationshipAttributes is definately confusing
 - relationships isn't clear to me

other options could include
 - relatedEntityAttributes - but is a little longwinded
 - injectedAttributes - another option but perhaps unclear for some

----
Nigel Jones, Analytics CTO Office - jonesn@uk.ibm.com

    From:   Sarath Subramanian <sa...@apache.org>
    To:     dev@atlas.apache.org