Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Manjari Chand <ta...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/23 14:32:07 UTC

Importing history into Subversion

Hello,

Is it possible to import CVS history into Subversion?

To give a specific example.

We added few files from a CVS repository to a Subversion repository. The new
files in Subversion repository don't have the CVS history (which is
expected).
Is it possible to import the CVS history for these files to Subversion by
someway?
(Note, while moving files in CVS repositories, one can preserve the history
just by copying the ",v" files). I

thanks
Manjari

Re: Importing history into Subversion

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
Manjari Chand wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to import CVS history into Subversion?
>
> To give a specific example.
>
> We added few files from a CVS repository to a Subversion repository. The
> new files in Subversion repository don't have the CVS history (which is
> expected).
> Is it possible to import the CVS history for these files to Subversion
> by someway?
> (Note, while moving files in CVS repositories, one can preserve the
> history just by copying the ",v" files). I

Sure - look for a program called cvs2svn.  It will create a copy that
'svnadmin load' can add to your repository.  Note however, that adding
'back-dated' revisions to an existing repository like this will screw up
some of subversion's concepts of finding revisions by date.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

RE: Importing history into Subversion