Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com> on 2000/08/22 14:36:51 UTC

SVG Status

Current developments:
- better implementation of the top level SVGArea, this now contains an
SVGDocument, which can be obtained and then rendered.
- support for external svg documents in image elements, uses the
FOPImage, and analyser classes, which don't quite fit but work.
- moving more things towards the dom, this involves a major overhaul of
some interfaces etc.

I'm holding off on this until after 0.14.1 and it is at least at the
level it was before.

Tests:
Provided the w3c test suite in a suitable format for FOP.
Identified a number of bugs (and un-implemented areas).

Re: SVG Status

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Keiron Liddle wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > I have a question: what is the status of filter support? assuming is not
> > yet implemented, do you have plans to work on it?
>
> Unfortunately this is currently in the too hard basket, and there are many
> things I want to do first.
>
> Currently my approach will be roughly like so:
> - get better dom support, including css data for styling (currently working
> on)
> - fix up the smaller things like scaling, smooth shading (ok not so small),
> text, switch, arcs, etc.
> - do the A, Mask, Clip etc.
> - then some of the more difficult things eg. filter effects

Makes perfect sense. Don't feel any pressure, I agree that easy things
should come first.

> I suspect filter effects will need the Graphics2 rendering (ie. AWTRenderer)
> and then converting to image data. Unless pdf can do things I don't know
> about.

I was thinking along the same lines.

You might now be aware of the fact that JAI already implemented almost
all the filters that SVG uses and it should not be that hard to
implement on top. Just in case you want to throw a few cycles on that
issue.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: SVG Status

Posted by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com>.

Re: SVG Status

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Keiron Liddle wrote:

> Current developments:
> - better implementation of the top level SVGArea, this now contains an
> SVGDocument, which can be obtained and then rendered.
> - support for external svg documents in image elements, uses the
> FOPImage, and analyser classes, which don't quite fit but work.
> - moving more things towards the dom, this involves a major overhaul of
> some interfaces etc.
>
> I'm holding off on this until after 0.14.1 and it is at least at the
> level it was before.
>
> Tests:
> Provided the w3c test suite in a suitable format for FOP.
> Identified a number of bugs (and un-implemented areas).

Keiron,