Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Micael Padraig Og mac Grene <ca...@harbornet.com> on 2001/12/13 23:41:17 UTC

Micael mac Grene: DataSource and Pooled Connection

At 02:13 PM 12/13/01 -0800, you wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, christophe marcourt wrote:
>
> > Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 21:07:47 +0100
> > From: christophe marcourt <ca...@wanadoo.fr>
> > To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> > Subject: DataSource and Pooled Connection
> >
> > I have a stupid question ?
> >
> > in the JNDI tomcat how to, it says : " The J2EE Platform Specification
> > requires J2EE Application Servers to make available a DataSource
> > implementation (that is, a connection pool for JDBC connections) for
> > this purpose. Tomcat 4 offers exactly the same support "
> >
> > Do I understand right ?
> > A DataSource retrieve by JNDI in tomcat 4.0.1 is a Pooled Connection ?
> >

>It's actually a javax.sql.DataSource implementation.
>
> > Christophe
> >

>Craig

First, I think I speak for thousands in thanking you for your
contributions.  Despite the flame wars, I hope you guys and gals know how
much we appreciate your efforts.  Second, could you expand on what Tomcat
puts into a pooled connection for javax.sql.DataSource?

I have been using Postgresql and getting a pooled connection with JBoss and
Tomcat and really do not understand what the "hay" is going on.  Is that
from JBoss?  I am not getting a pooled connection from Postgresql, even
though I though I was.  I so far have just been using Tomcat 3.2.3, I think
it is, and JBoss and am using a standalone application thus far with
Tomcat.  But, I definely am getting a pooled connection according to "ps
aux" on my box.  I am getting an initial pool of five conncetions, I
think.  Maybe six.

Thanx,

-- micael

RE: Micael mac Grene: DataSource and Pooled Connection

Posted by Micael Padraig Og mac Grene <ca...@harbornet.com>.
At 01:39 PM 12/14/01 +1100, you wrote:
>I am not 100% sure, but I am pretty sure that the PostgreSQL (7.1.2) JDBC
>driver does not yet support Pooled DataSource connections.
>
>That is what they have said on the PgSql JDBC list, but please correct me if
>I am wrong as we would love to use pooled datasource connections..
>
>I believe Postgres 7.2 (& JDBC driver) might support it...
>
>Amit

Yah, my mistake.  I thought they did because I was getting a pool with
Tomcat 3.2.3 and JBoss.

mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.