Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Brad King <br...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/03 14:02:24 UTC

Problems installing on Ubuntu Feisty

I'm a Linux newbie so please bear with me. I'm not able to get
SpiderMonkey installed on Ubuntu Feisty. When I try to use the package
manager, it fails looking for the ns4-dev dependency. If I try to
install the dependency, it wants to remove my Nautilus shell and many
other programs first, which seems like a bad idea. If I try to install
SpiderMonkey from source per your wiki instructions, I get an error on
this line:

JS_DIST=/usr/local/spidermonkey make -f Makefile.ref export

I'm sure this is just some syntactic error on my part. I'm very close
otherwise, as my couchdb ./configure is failing looking for
SpiderMonkey. Thanks.

Re: Problems installing on Ubuntu Feisty

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 05:38:00PM +0200, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 4:24 PM, Brad King <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > one last try: I found a nice summary of installing couchdb on ubuntu here:
> >
> > http://jhcore.com/category/ubuntu/
> >

> this pretty outdated.

You could always try my Debian package:

  http://packages.debian.org/couchdb

It should be in Ubuntu soon enough.

--
Noah Slater - The Apache Software Foundation <http://www.apache.org/>

Re: Problems installing on Ubuntu Feisty

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 4:24 PM, Brad King <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> one last try: I found a nice summary of installing couchdb on ubuntu here:
>
> http://jhcore.com/category/ubuntu/

this pretty outdated. On ubuntu (previous and last version) I just
install needed dependencies from packages then install couchdb from
source (for some reason check-install don't work).

If you want to install last version of erlang on ubuntu, have a look here :
http://gleber.pl/blog/2008/02/12/16/building-erlang-12b-on-ubuntu-gutsy/

--
- benoît

Re: Problems installing on Ubuntu Feisty

Posted by Bob Briski <rb...@gmail.com>.
Pretty sure you need a more recent erlang.  You have to search your
package distributor for curses:

aptitude search ncurses

The list that's sent back includes:

ncurses-base
ncurses-bin
ncurses-dev

sudo aptitude install ncurses-dev

That should take care of the curses prereq.  If you don't have aptitude

sudo apt-get install aptitude

Then build the latest erlang from source

Bob

Posted by Brad King <br...@gmail.com>.
[...]

{"Kernel pid terminated",application_controller,"{application_start_failure,couch,{shutdown,{couch_server,start,[normal,[]]}}}"}

Posted by Brad King <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bob Briski <rb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bob Briski <rb...@gmail.com>.
You're exporting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to your environment yet starting
it under couchdb's.  If you want to go this route, replace your
command with:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/spidermonkey/lib sudo -u  couchdb couchdb

Posted by Brad King <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brad King <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark James Adams <ma...@gmail.com>.
Bob,

Posted by Bob Briski <rb...@gmail.com>.
Try:

Posted by Mark James Adams <ma...@gmail.com>.
> couch 0.7.3a662495 (LogLevel=info)
> Apache CouchDB is starting.
>
> {"init terminating in do_boot",{error,{open_error,-10}}}
> init terminating in do_boot ()

This is basically the same error I've been seeing on OpenSolaris.

--
Mark James Adams
http://raysend.com/mark/

Re: Problems installing on Ubuntu Feisty

Posted by Brad King <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bob Briski <rb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brad King <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bob Briski <rb...@gmail.com>.
try:

Posted by Brad King <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark James Adams <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Brad King <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm a Linux newbie so please bear with me. I'm not able to get
> SpiderMonkey installed on Ubuntu Feisty. When I try to use the package
> manager, it fails looking for the ns4-dev dependency. If I try to
> install the dependency, it wants to remove my Nautilus shell and many
> other programs first, which seems like a bad idea. If I try to install
> SpiderMonkey from source per your wiki instructions, I get an error on
> this line:
>
> JS_DIST=/usr/local/spidermonkey make -f Makefile.ref export
>
> I'm sure this is just some syntactic error on my part. I'm very close
> otherwise, as my couchdb ./configure is failing looking for
> SpiderMonkey. Thanks.

why don't use libmozjs-dev package ?

- benoît