Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Philippe Guillard <pg...@soociety.com> on 2005/01/28 10:37:00 UTC

[Portal] menus and i18n

Hi all,

Does anybody has a plan for making the portal menus /tabs  i18n?
I understand they are prepared at beginning of portal creation by the
respective renderers tab/linktab etc... As the profile/layout/portal.xml
file is prepared once i see 4 solutions:
1-  a portal instance for each language
(I think i loose the flexibiulity of i18n support)
2- as many layouts as languages and a profile for each language
(I'm worried about the anonymous case)
3- do an i18n transformation on the main portal pipeline after the
portal-page.xsl XSL transformation
(I'm worried it would slow down performance to parse all portal pages again)
4- do the menus myself inside coplets
(then i think i can't access the parameters made disponible by the
renderer and disponible in tab.xsl/limktab.xsl, for instance
"named-item" , and i have to do by myself something less flexible than
the one already done in the portal.
One positive thing : in cachingURI coplets, i would have cache)

And i wonder about page-labels.

Anybody any idea?
Regards,

Phil

Re: [Portal] menus and i18n

Posted by David Duhme <DD...@karmann.com>.
Hi,

> I don't know what you mean by "more
> dynamic contents",

ok sorry, I admit that it's not clear what
that  means.

I was talking about content coming from a
database (relational or in my case lotus notes database).

I'm working on a solution to translate view headers
that are defined on the notes side. I think I need
a stylesheet that adds the necessary i18n tags to
the xml data stream.

Regards,

David.

Re: [Portal] menus and i18n

Posted by Philippe Guillard <pg...@soociety.com>.
David Duhme wrote:

>Hi Philippe,
>
>I also have the requirement for my portal prototype
>to do i18n.
>

>>3- do an i18n transformation on the main portal
>>pipeline after the
>>portal-page.xsl XSL transformation
>>(I'm worried it would slow down performance to
>>parse all portal pages again)
>>

>Thats what I've implemented at the moment and I didn't recognize
>any big problems concerning the performance.
>
>What seams to be a bit more difficult is the translation
>of the more dynamic contents of the portal. So if anyone has
>a good concept for portal internationalization, I would be
>interested in that.
>
>Regards,
>
>David.

Thanks David,

Ok to me. I don't know what you mean by "more dynamic contents", you
mean page-labels in the uri ? Otherwise it is still possible to pass a
parameter to the main portal-page.xsl or even have one by language.
Regards,
Phil

Re: [Portal] menus and i18n

Posted by David Duhme <DD...@karmann.com>.