Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Bo Berglund <bo...@gmail.com> on 2020/10/02 16:24:34 UTC

Upgrading visual svn server from 3.7.0 using svn 1.9.7 - how?

We are using this setup:
- Main server is running on Windows Server 16 Standard using VisualSVN
version 3.7.0, which apparently uses svn 1.9.7

- The server is using svnsync nightly to synchronize over the Internet
to a mirror SVN server version 1.9.7 running on Ubuntu 18.04 Server on
a different location entirely.
No user operations are allowed on the mirror, it is just a backup.

My problem is this:
The VisualSVN server is seriously out of date and needs to be
upgraded. In its own management console it suggests upgrading to 4.2.2
but does not say which version of svn will then be running.
In fact it seems like they are intentionally hiding the svn version in
their web pages.. :(

And I suspect that there might be problems concerning the svnsync
commands if the backup mirror server is not upgraded to the same svn
version, right?
But how do I do that on Ubuntu when I cannot find out which svn
version they use?

Or does it not matter, i.e. can the main and mirror servers be using
different svn versions?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden

Re: Upgrading visual svn server from 3.7.0 using svn 1.9.7 - how?

Posted by Pavel Lyalyakin <pa...@visualsvn.com>.
Hello,

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 7:24 PM Bo Berglund <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We are using this setup:
> - Main server is running on Windows Server 16 Standard using VisualSVN
> version 3.7.0, which apparently uses svn 1.9.7

Usually you just need to download and run the VisualSVN Server installer to
upgrade the server. Please, read the article KB161: Upgrading to VisualSVN
Server 4.2 <https://www.visualsvn.com/support/topic/00161/> before
beginning the upgrade. The article includes pre- and post- upgrade
checklists to ensure smooth upgrade.

--
With best regards,
Pavel Lyalyakin

Re: Upgrading visual svn server from 3.7.0 using svn 1.9.7 - how?

Posted by Pavel Lyalyakin <pa...@visualsvn.com>.
Hello Bo,

I have to note that VisualSVN Server 4.3.0 is now available and it is
linked with Subversion 1.14.0. Please, see the Release Notes
<https://www.visualsvn.com/server/changes/4.3/>. You can find the upgrade
checklists in the article KB167: Upgrading to VisualSVN Server 4.3
<https://www.visualsvn.com/support/topic/00167/>.

You can get VisualSVN Server 4.3.0 from the download
<https://www.visualsvn.com/server/download/> page.

--
With best regards,
Pavel Lyalyakin

Re: Upgrading visual svn server from 3.7.0 using svn 1.9.7 - how?

Posted by Pavel Lyalyakin <pa...@visualsvn.com>.
Hello Bo,

--
With best regards,
Pavel Lyalyakin

Re: Upgrading visual svn server from 3.7.0 using svn 1.9.7 - how?

Posted by Bo Berglund <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pavel Lyalyakin <pa...@visualsvn.com>.
Hello,

See the download <https://www.visualsvn.com/server/download/> page which
says that VisualSVN Server 4.2.2
[[[
Includes Apache Subversion 1.10.6.
]]]

If you want to find out the version details of your currently installed
server, use the VisualSVN Server Manager console or check the README.txt
file. See https://stackoverflow.com/a/60887240/761095

--
With best regards,
Pavel Lyalyakin

Re: Upgrading visual svn server from 3.7.0 using svn 1.9.7 - how?

Posted by Bo Berglund <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Sahlberg <da...@gmail.com>.
Den fre 2 okt. 2020 kl 18:24 skrev Bo Berglund <bo...@gmail.com>:

> We are using this setup:
> - Main server is running on Windows Server 16 Standard using VisualSVN
> version 3.7.0, which apparently uses svn 1.9.7
>
> - The server is using svnsync nightly to synchronize over the Internet
> to a mirror SVN server version 1.9.7 running on Ubuntu 18.04 Server on
> a different location entirely.
> No user operations are allowed on the mirror, it is just a backup.
>
> My problem is this:
> The VisualSVN server is seriously out of date and needs to be
> upgraded. In its own management console it suggests upgrading to 4.2.2
> but does not say which version of svn will then be running.
> In fact it seems like they are intentionally hiding the svn version in
> their web pages.. :(

I checked our installation of 4.2.2 and it seems to be running 1.10.6.
VisualSVN Server is installing the Subversion command line tools in
C:\Program Files\VisualSVN Server\bin so I simply opened cmd.exe and
executed svn --version.

And I suspect that there might be problems concerning the svnsync
> commands if the backup mirror server is not upgraded to the same svn
> version, right?

I checked quickly with a brand new Ubuntu 18.4 VM running svn 1.9.7 and
svnsync works both if initiated from the Ubuntu box (connecting to
VisualSVN Server using https) and if initiated from Windows (using svn+ssh
and plink with public keys). Of course, YMMW.

> But how do I do that on Ubuntu when I cannot find out which svn
> version they use?

> Or does it not matter, i.e. can the main and mirror servers be using
> different svn versions?

In general use you are free to mix different versions of the server and the
client so I would assume this also goes for svnsync. And it's not too far
between 1.9 and 1.10. Others on the list might be able to give a more
detailed answer but why not test it :-)

--
> Bo Berglund
> Developer in Sweden