Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by Cassandra Targett <ct...@apache.org> on 2014/03/04 19:39:52 UTC

ANNOUNCE: Apache Solr Reference Guide for 4.7

The Lucene PMC is pleased to announce that we have a new version of the
Solr Reference Guide available for Solr 4.7.

The 395 page PDF serves as the definitive user's manual for Solr 4.7. It
can be downloaded from the Apache mirror network:

https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/solr/ref-guide/

Cassandra

Re: ANNOUNCE: Apache Solr Reference Guide for 4.7

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
Thanks to Alexandre for pointing this out

Let's use SOLR-5819 for any followup investivation/discussion so it
doesn't get lost in the ANNOUNCE thread...

: Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 14:49:41 -0500
: From: Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>
: To: "solr-user@lucene.apache.org" <so...@lucene.apache.org>
: Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: Apache Solr Reference Guide for 4.7
:
: I debugged the PDF a little. FWIW, the following code (using iText)
: takes it to 9MB:
:
:   public static void main(String args[]) throws Exception {
:     Document document = new Document();
:     PdfSmartCopy copy = new PdfSmartCopy(document, new
: FileOutputStream("/home/rmuir/Downloads/test.pdf"));
:     //copy.setCompressionLevel(9);
:     //copy.setFullCompression();
:     document.open();
:     PdfReader reader = new
: PdfReader("/home/rmuir/Downloads/apache-solr-ref-guide-4.7.pdf");
:     int pages = reader.getNumberOfPages();
:     for (int i = 0; i < pages; i++) {
:       PdfImportedPage page = copy.getImportedPage(reader, i+1);
:       copy.addPage(page);
:     }
:     copy.freeReader(reader);
:     reader.close();
:     document.close();
:   }
:
:
: On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 10:17 AM, Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
: > Not sure if it’s relevant anymore, but a few years ago Atlassian resolved as "won’t fix” a request to configure exported PDF compression ratio: <https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-21329>.  Their suggestion: zip the PDF.  I tried that - the resulting zip size is roughly 9MB, so it’s definitely compressible.
: >
: > Steve
: >
: > On Mar 5, 2014, at 10:03 AM, Cassandra Targett <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:
: >
: >> You know, I didn't even notice that. It did go up to 30M.
: >>
: >> I've made a note to look into that before we release the 4.8 version to see
: >> if it can be reduced at all. I suspect the screenshots are causing it to
: >> balloon - we made some changes to the way they appear in the PDF for 4.7
: >> which may be the cause, but also the software was upgraded and maybe the
: >> newer version is handling them differently.
: >>
: >> Thanks for pointing that out.
: >>
: >>
: >> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 6:43 PM, Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>wrote:
: >>
: >>> Has it really gone up in size from 5Mb for 4.6 version to 30Mb for 4.7
: >>> version? Or some mirrors are playing tricks (mine is:
: >>> http://www.trieuvan.com/apache/lucene/solr/ref-guide/ )
: >>>
: >>> Regards,
: >>>   Alex.
: >>> Personal website: http://www.outerthoughts.com/
: >>> LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexandrerafalovitch
: >>> - Time is the quality of nature that keeps events from happening all
: >>> at once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD
: >>> book)
: >>>
: >>>
: >>> On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 1:39 AM, Cassandra Targett <ct...@apache.org>
: >>> wrote:
: >>>> The Lucene PMC is pleased to announce that we have a new version of the
: >>>> Solr Reference Guide available for Solr 4.7.
: >>>>
: >>>> The 395 page PDF serves as the definitive user's manual for Solr 4.7. It
: >>>> can be downloaded from the Apache mirror network:
: >>>>
: >>>> https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/solr/ref-guide/
: >>>>
: >>>> Cassandra
: >>>
: >
:

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: ANNOUNCE: Apache Solr Reference Guide for 4.7

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
I debugged the PDF a little. FWIW, the following code (using iText)
takes it to 9MB:

    Document document = new Document();
    PdfSmartCopy copy = new PdfSmartCopy(document, new
FileOutputStream("/home/rmuir/Downloads/test.pdf"));
    //copy.setCompressionLevel(9);
    //copy.setFullCompression();
    document.open();
    PdfReader reader = new
PdfReader("/home/rmuir/Downloads/apache-solr-ref-guide-4.7.pdf");
    int pages = reader.getNumberOfPages();
    for (int i = 0; i < pages; i++) {
      PdfImportedPage page = copy.getImportedPage(reader, i+1);
      copy.addPage(page);
    }
    copy.freeReader(reader);
    reader.close();