Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Adarsh Sharma <ad...@orkash.com> on 2010/08/18 09:38:03 UTC

Configure Secondary Namenode

I am not able to find any command or parameter in core-default.xml to
configure secondary namenode on separate machine.
I have a 4-node cluster with jobtracker,master,secondary namenode on one
machine
and remaining 3 are slaves.
Can anyone please tell me.

Thanks in Advance

Re: Configure Secondary Namenode

Posted by Aman <am...@hotmail.com>.
>> Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 13:08:03 +0530
>> From: adarsh.sharma@orkash.com
>> To: core-user@hadoop.apache.org
>> Subject: Configure Secondary Namenode
>>
>> I am not able to find any command or parameter in core-default.xml to
>> configure secondary namenode on separate machine.
>> I have a 4-node cluster with jobtracker,master,secondary namenode on one
>> machine
>> and remaining 3 are slaves.
>> Can anyone please tell me.
>>
>> Thanks in Advance
I ran into kinda similar problem and found that there is no simple way to do
this. The following blog posts explains how to do this.
You will have to modify bin/start-dfs.sh and stop-dfs.sh scripts to do this.
Following blog has all the details.
http://hadoop-blog.blogspot.com/2010/12/secondarynamenode-process-is-starting.html
http://hadoop-blog.blogspot.com/2010/12/secondarynamenode-process-is-starting.html
Please note the blog assumes that you are working with CDH2 (cloudera's
distribution).

Re: Configure Secondary Namenode

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
2010/8/18 xiujin yang <xi...@hotmail.com>:

> Hi Adarsh,
>
> Please check start-dfs.sh
>
> You will find
>
> "$bin"/hadoop-daemon.sh --config $HADOOP_CONF_DIR start namenode $nameStartOpt
> "$bin"/hadoop-daemons.sh --config $HADOOP_CONF_DIR start datanode $dataStartOpt
> "$bin"/hadoop-daemons.sh --config $HADOOP_CONF_DIR --hosts masters start secondarynamenode
>
> Default secondarynamenode is run on "masters".
>
> You can change this shell, such as you can change the last row:
>
> "$bin"/hadoop-daemons.sh --config $HADOOP_CONF_DIR --hosts secondarynamenode start secondarynamenode
>

> Create a file "conf/secondarynamenode"  & list machine name in it.
>

> Best,
>

> Xiujin Yang.
>
>> Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 13:08:03 +0530
>> From: adarsh.sharma@orkash.com
>> To: core-user@hadoop.apache.org
>> Subject: Configure Secondary Namenode
>>
>> I am not able to find any command or parameter in core-default.xml to
>> configure secondary namenode on separate machine.
>> I have a 4-node cluster with jobtracker,master,secondary namenode on one
>> machine
>> and remaining 3 are slaves.
>> Can anyone please tell me.
>>
>> Thanks in Advance

dfs.http.address defaults to something like localhost:50070
If you start a secondary name node on a separate machine then your
name node you to set dfs.http.address to the hostname and port of your
namenode, otherwise the secondary name node will not know how to
connect,extract, and report to the name node.

RE: Configure Secondary Namenode

Posted by xiujin yang <xi...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Adarsh,