Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> on 2015/03/01 20:29:42 UTC

Re: pTLP process amendments

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 11:08 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 7:08 AM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 4:35 AM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > That is a discussion for perhaps the Incubator, but more specifically the
>> > podlings that you might be referring to.
>>
>> I don't see why the Incubator wouldn't just let them go.
>
> Haha.... well, the reality is that the Incubator wouldn't have a choice. If
> the Board passes a pTLP resolution, then there isn't much the IPMC could do
> about it :-P

Clearly the pTLP resolution is outside the Incubator's jurisdiction -- the
only question is how the podling gets closed down.  Presumably things would go
something like this:

1.  Podling community votes to endorse pTLP resolution.
2.  Board passes pTLP resolution.
3.  IPMC passes a pro forma vote to dissolve/retire/whatever the podling.

> Now, I'm not suggesting the Board would be eager to just rip podlings out
> of the Incubator with *some* modicum of discussion with the IPMC.  I'm just
> pedantically pointing out the reality of the situation... hehe...

I wouldn't expect the process to be contentious at all.  Odds are that most or
all of the Mentors for such a podling will have signed up as seed PMC members
for the pTLP, and the podling community will already have arrived at consensus
in favor of the pTLP process.  Under such circumstances, it's inconceivable
that the wider IPMC would stand in the way.

Many of us are grateful to those of you who are running this experiment, even
if we remain skeptical of the model.  I'm happy that it's not being run under
the auspices of the Incubator and I'm generally trying to stay out of the way.
The only reason I commented was to reassure that this particular spot where
the pTLP experiment interfaces with the Incubator won't be a source of
friction.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: pTLP process amendments

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 4:11 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 10:49 AM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 3:44 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <
> bdelacretaz@apache.org>
> >>...The Incubator PMC might not have a
> >> formal say in pTLP creation, but there's significant work that happens
> >> before that, collaboratively and in public.
> >
> > That isn't the IPMC. You're simply talking about discussion on a mailing
> > list....
>
> Not "a" mailing list, "this" mailing list. There's no reason for the
> preparation of a pTLP to happen in a different place than where
> podlings are prepared, which is on this list.

Fine. My primary point was: IPMC has *nothing* to do with the discussion.

Maybe one day, it will be new-projects@apache.org.

But I want to reinforce what Ross noted: pTLP should not be conflated with
Incubator bits. It has no place, and that's why I'm being vocal right now.
You said, "the steps that lead to the board voting on the pTLP creation
resolution are IMO best handled by the Incubator PMC", and I believe that
is totally wrong.

Cheers,
-g

Re: pTLP process amendments

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 2:11 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 10:49 AM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 3:44 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
>>>...The Incubator PMC might not have a
>>> formal say in pTLP creation, but there's significant work that happens
>>> before that, collaboratively and in public.
>>
>> That isn't the IPMC. You're simply talking about discussion on a mailing
>> list....
>
> Not "a" mailing list, "this" mailing list. There's no reason for the
> preparation of a pTLP to happen in a different place than where
> podlings are prepared, which is on this list.

I'm putting all of this bits of feedback in a very formal policy document
modeled after the formal Incubator policy definition.

I am frustrated as hell, because a huge update I've just made seems
to have been wiped out by the Confluence outage.

I'll try again once it is back.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: pTLP process amendments

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 10:49 AM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 3:44 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
>>...The Incubator PMC might not have a
>> formal say in pTLP creation, but there's significant work that happens
>> before that, collaboratively and in public.
>
> That isn't the IPMC. You're simply talking about discussion on a mailing
> list....

Not "a" mailing list, "this" mailing list. There's no reason for the
preparation of a pTLP to happen in a different place than where
podlings are prepared, which is on this list.

-Bertrand

Re: pTLP process amendments

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: pTLP process amendments

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: pTLP process amendments

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 4:33 AM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)
> <Ro...@microsoft.com> wrote:
> > ...either this pTLP idea is independent of the IPMC. Or it is not....
>
> I think it is actually in between ;-)
>
> While the pTLP itself, once created by the board, is independent of
> the Incubator PMC, the steps that lead to the board voting on the pTLP
> creation resolution are IMO best handled by the Incubator PMC, as they
> are fairly similar to the creation of a podling.

Please explain why that resolution cannot come from the community itself.

If a community says, "we'd like to be a pTLP", then why/how does the
Incubator PMC need to be involved in that?

-g

Re: pTLP process amendments

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

RE: pTLP process amendments

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
+1

either this pTLP idea is independent of the IPMC. Or it is not. We need to lose these mixed messages. It seems people are still using the same ten to represent different things.

Sent from my Windows Phone
Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
Marvin,