Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Joachim Zobel <nc...@netcologne.de> on 2002/08/01 23:01:19 UTC

No error log, no database

Hi.

Yesterday it happened that our error log reached 2Gb. Since ours is a linux
box writing to it stopped. At the same time all database driven
functionality stopped working (Plain DBI on Mysql, no Apache::DBI). The
database was still usable through the PHP admin interface. The filesystem
was not full. When the log was rotated, everything returned to normal.

This was on a virtual Apache 1.3.26, mod_perl 1.25.

Does  anybody have an idea what happened?

Thanx,
Joachim
--
"... ein Geschlecht erfinderischer Zwerge, die fuer alles gemietet werden
koennen."                            - Bertolt Brecht - Leben des Galilei

Re: No error log, no database

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Joachim Zobel wrote:
> > it should not be a critical error if the error log can no longer be
> > written. In our case the database was not accessible (except for one
> > handler that does a very simple SELECT). My question is: How did
> > reaching the error logs 2Gb limit affect the database driver?
>
> Could be the DBD driver problem.

I think Stas means "Could be a DBD driver problem."  (He's Russian you
know:)  Does the handler which does a simple SELECT *really* work or is
it fooling?  I don't think I've seen any particular known DBD problem
which would cause your trouble.  Given that one of your handlers does
work, to me it seems unlikely to be a DBD driver problem, unless
perhaps (apart from the simple SELECT statement) your driver is trying
to log something via mod_perl and Apache.  Otherwise I would suspect
Apache/modperl or even the OS.  Do your other Apache logs ever reach
2GB and, if so, does the same thing happen?  Is there anything in the
OS logs which might help?

I'd echo Stas' request - If you find an explanation, please let us know.

73,
Ged.

PS: What do you do with 2GB logs???

Re: No error log, no database

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Joachim Zobel wrote:
> At 09:03 02.08.2002 +0800, you wrote:
>
>> Joachim Zobel wrote:
>>
>>> Hi.
>>> Yesterday it happened that our error log reached 2Gb. Since ours is a
>>> linux box writing to it stopped. At the same time all database driven
>>> functionality stopped working (Plain DBI on Mysql, no Apache::DBI).
>>> The database was still usable through the PHP admin interface. The
>>> filesystem was not full. When the log was rotated, everything
>>> returned to normal.
>>> This was on a virtual Apache 1.3.26, mod_perl 1.25.
>>> Does  anybody have an idea what happened?
>>

>> You've hit the 2GB limit.
>

> Yes, I know. I should have stated my question more clearly. But normally
> it should not be a critical error if the error log can no longer be
> written. In our case the database was not accessible (except for one
> handler that does a very simple SELECT). My question is: How did
> reaching the error logs 2Gb limit affect the database driver?

Could be the DBD driver problem. You should probably ask on the relevant
list and if you find an answer please share the reason with us. Seems to
be an interesting problem.

Re: No error log, no database

Posted by Joachim Zobel <nc...@netcologne.de>.
At 09:03 02.08.2002 +0800, you wrote:
>Joachim Zobel wrote:
>>Hi.
>>Yesterday it happened that our error log reached 2Gb. Since ours is a
>>linux box writing to it stopped. At the same time all database driven
>>functionality stopped working (Plain DBI on Mysql, no Apache::DBI). The
>>database was still usable through the PHP admin interface. The filesystem
>>was not full. When the log was rotated, everything returned to normal.
>>This was on a virtual Apache 1.3.26, mod_perl 1.25.
>>Does  anybody have an idea what happened?
>
>You've hit the 2GB limit.

Yes, I know. I should have stated my question more clearly. But normally it
should not be a critical error if the error log can no longer be written.
In our case the database was not accessible (except for one handler that
does a very simple SELECT). My question is: How did reaching the error logs
2Gb limit affect the database driver?

[adding large file support]

Thanks. This is not an option. We will simply increase the rotation frequency.

Sincerely,
Joachim

Re: No error log, no database

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Joachim Zobel wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Yesterday it happened that our error log reached 2Gb. Since ours is a
> linux box writing to it stopped. At the same time all database driven
> functionality stopped working (Plain DBI on Mysql, no Apache::DBI). The
> database was still usable through the PHP admin interface. The
> filesystem was not full. When the log was rotated, everything returned
> to normal.
>
> This was on a virtual Apache 1.3.26, mod_perl 1.25.
>
> Does  anybody have an idea what happened?

You've hit the 2GB limit.

First make sure that your OS/fs has a large file support.
http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html

Then re-build Apache (it should automatically add -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
flag) and Perl with -Duselargefiles and finally rebuild mod_perl.