Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by abdul razack <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2007/11/12 08:20:29 UTC

tomcat in production

Hi,

  we have web application running in iplanet server.
  we want same web application running on Tomcat in production.

  Is there any separate tomcat version for Production.
If so, please give me the link to dowanload.

  Is it ok if I download any version of tomcat from http://tomcat.apache.org/.
what are basic configuration that I need to do for running tomcat in production.

  Thanks & Regards
  -Abdul Razack

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: tomcat in production

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

>> From: Markus Schönhaber [mailto:mailing-tomcat-user@schoenhaber.de]
>>
>> AFAICT the main advantage of APR wrt static content is the possibility
>> to use sendfile.
>
> The pure Java NIO connector also supports sendfile.

I have successfully managed to overlook that.

> Still haven't seen any actual performance numbers comparing NIO and APR.

Neither have I.
The speed increase I talked about in my previous mail was observed by
comparing APR to the pure Java Base Connector.

Regards
  mks

Re: tomcat in production

Posted by Gregor Schneider <rc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Chuck,

On Nov 15, 2007 3:55 PM, Caldarale, Charles R
<Ch...@unisys.com> wrote:
> > From: Markus Schönhaber [mailto:mailing-tomcat-user@schoenhaber.de]
> > Subject: Re: tomcat in production
> >
> > AFAICT the main advantage of APR wrt static content is the possibility
> > to use sendfile.
>
> The pure Java NIO connector also supports sendfile.  Still haven't seen any actual performance numbers comparing NIO and APR.

However, the initial questions was about Tomcat being in production-environment.

Since the NIO-connector is not considered stable yet, some report it
as still quite buggy, that very connector shouldn't really be an
option for a production-environment...

Cheers

Gregor
gpgp-fp: 79A84FA526807026795E4209D3B3FE028B3170B2

RE: tomcat in production

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Markus Schönhaber [mailto:mailing-tomcat-user@schoenhaber.de]
> Subject: Re: tomcat in production
>
> AFAICT the main advantage of APR wrt static content is the possibility
> to use sendfile.

The pure Java NIO connector also supports sendfile.  Still haven't seen any actual performance numbers comparing NIO and APR.

 - Chuck

Re: tomcat in production

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.
Caldarale, Charles R schrieb:

> I suspect the previous posts on this subject are slightly confused.
> AFAIK, APR doesn't know or care about the type of content - it's simply
> a more efficient mechanism for keeping multiple connections open
> simultaneously without tying up a thread for each.  It also reduces the
> CPU time used to deliver both static and dynamic content, but I haven't
> seen any numbers yet to compare it with the current pure Java NIO
> connector.

AFAICT the main advantage of APR wrt static content is the possibility
to use sendfile. In my experience usage of sendfile increases throughput
significantly - at least with big files and provided that the speed of
the network connection, disk IO etc. is not a limiting factor.
The one drawback I see wrt sendfile is that the size of the content
transmitted via sendfile won't add to the internal counters, i. e. the
size of the file transferred will show up neither in the access log (if
enabled) nor in the "Bytes sent" information the manager app displays on
the Server Status page. Of course, depending on one's needs this may be
an issue or not.

Regards
  mks

RE: tomcat in production

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Lionel Crine [mailto:lcrine@linagora.com]
> Subject: Re: tomcat in production
>
> My tomcat serves static content without APR.
> is there a big performance increase serving static pages with
> APR enabled ?

I suspect the previous posts on this subject are slightly confused.
AFAIK, APR doesn't know or care about the type of content - it's simply
a more efficient mechanism for keeping multiple connections open
simultaneously without tying up a thread for each.  It also reduces the
CPU time used to deliver both static and dynamic content, but I haven't
seen any numbers yet to compare it with the current pure Java NIO
connector.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: tomcat in production

Posted by Lionel Crine <lc...@linagora.com>.
HI,

I'm wondering something.

My tomcat serves static content without APR.
is there a big performance increase serving static pages with APR enabled ?

Thanks in advance.
Lionel

Re: tomcat in production

Posted by Peter Stavrinides <p....@albourne.com>.

Re: tomcat in production

Re: tomcat in production

Posted by Peter Stavrinides <p....@albourne.com>.
I am just wandering about when to use the APR and when not to,
especially for those of us using Apache as a front end (although in my
case this is done solely to integrate perl and java apps into a common
namespace)

Re: tomcat in production

Re: tomcat in production

Posted by Pierre Goupil <go...@gmail.com>.
Abdul,

There is no specific version of Tomcat for production * as long as * you
stick to the last revision of your branch, since it contains all security &
bug fixes for that branch. There are no patches in Tomcat, only further
releases. Moreover, it is advised that you use the Tomcat 6.0 branch, or at
least the 5.5 branch, if you can. For instance, for the 6.0 branch, the last
revision is 6.0.14.

Which branch you will choose (6.0, 5.5, 4.1, etc) depends upon which version
of the servlet and JSP specifications you use.

Regarding the tips to apply, someone had once posted a great blog entry on
this list, which we have long discussed :

http://www.digitalsanctum.com/2007/08/18/20-tips-for-using-tomcat-in-production/

HTH,

Pierre

--
"Deux choses ne se peuvent cacher : l'ivresse et l'amour."
(Antiphane)