Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Jaime Meritt <jm...@sonicsoftware.com> on 2002/10/02 22:54:52 UTC

JMS Transport Patch

All,

Attached is a minor patch to the JMS transport.  It includes a first cut
at a vendor-specific exception handling mechanism.  This extension
allows the JMS connector to fail-fast when it encounters vendor specific
exceptions that cannot be recovered from.  The old behavior was to retry
for a configurable period of time before throwing the exception back to
the user.  In these unrecoverable situations the old behavior merely
chewed up processor cycles and network bandwidth.

These changes do bring up a question however.  I have included code in
the SonicMQVendorAdapter that relies on the presence of SonicMQ client
classes.  Other vendor adapters that could be implemented will probably
have the same requirements.  I have modified build.xml to compile these
classes only if the the required classes are present.  However, I would
like the classes to ship with the binary distribution.  Is there a
mechanism to add classes to the build classpath so that the SonicMQ and
other vendor adapters can be compiled and packaged with the
distribution?

This is obviously not something that needs to go into the 1.0 branch,
but I would appreciate if someone familiar with the JMS code such as
Dave or James would commit the patch.  Also, I would really like to see
other vendor adapter implementations to validate the pluggable vendor
model.  James and other IBMers have expressed some interest in this.  If
anyone is interested in doing this for their particular JMS offering, I
would be happy to help.

Thanks,
Jaime Meritt
Sonic Software Corporation