Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com> on 2013/07/23 17:28:28 UTC

Heads Up: Removal of obsolete/deprecated code from 0.26

Folks,

There is a bunch of obsolete and deprecated code in the Qpid (C++)
source tree, the time has come to remove it or stop exporting a public
interface to it. As much of this code is really unmaintained in any case
this step really just reflects the reality that unmaintained code "rots"
in time.

This was already discussed here in the past few months, and we decided
to leave this code in the 0.24 release to allow people time to prepare
for its removal. However it will be gone from the 0.26 release and to
allow as much time to work with this new situation I'm planning to
remove the code this week.

In detail:

JIRAs:
QPID-4940 https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-4940
QPID-4941 https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-4941
QPID-4942 https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-4942

Reviewboard review:
https://reviews.apache.org/r/12006/

There are 3 related changes here:
Removal of obsolete QMFv1 code and examples
Removal of examples which use the deprecated qpid::client API
Moving the qpid::client API out from the exported include files so that
this API is no longer supported as an external API (it has been
deprecated and its use discouraged for a long while now)

The result of these changes are a source tree with significantly less
cruft in it to stumble over; and, more importantly to my mind, a very
simplified set of include files exported which represent exactly the
external APIs that we actually support.

After the removals please, please try the resulting 0.25 code base and
ensure that you can still do (albeit by different means) what you need
to do; raise questions here if you are having problems translating
something from using an API that is now gone. If necessary raise a bug
to flag something necessary that is now lacking, so we can ensure that
the 0.26 release has no huge feature holes.

Thank you

Andrew