Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/07 15:24:21 UTC

Geronimo Tooling 1.1 Release Plans

So to close out the 1.1 eclipse tooling release here is what I'm
planning to do...

RC3 is currently available to pull down and test.  I still need to do
some sniff testing on the update-site distribution and making sure
existing 1.0 plugin users can update directly to 1.1. (Since plugins
where completely renamed in 1.1.1 I'm hoping eclipse knows how to
handle this correctly and disables old plugins not in the latest
feature.) After I create the release notes I plan to call a vote
within the next 24-48 hours.

Looking ahead to 1.1.1 I'm hoping there will not be any incompatible
changes in 1.1.1 and so the 1.1 jars I'm repackaging in the eclipse-
plugin will work for deployments to 1.1.1.  Also the eclipse PDE
builder has a feature that supports generating qualified builds that
TLPs are now exploiting so projects can provide updates at a much
more frequent and granular level.  I plan to implement a similar
feature in the eclipse plugin m2 build that will allow similar
capability.  This should help us get to a model where we can have
frequent maintenance releases with minimum work for the developer to
put out these releases.  (i.e simply commit fixes, build, and the
generated plugins versions will have generated qualifiers appended to
them that can simply pushed to the update site).

-sachin

Re: Geronimo Tooling 1.1 Release Plans

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 10, 2006, at 3:29 PM, Lin Sun wrote:

> Hi Sachin,
>
> I tried the plugin today.  I am able to start the server and run my
> first
> simple application which is great!  Here are some comments I have
> so far.
>

> 1) You probably already knew this - Download and Install button
> doesn't work
> yet.   I went over to the eclipse update site, and didn't see any 1.1
> features or plugins there.

This is part of the publishing process.  Once the release is voted
on, the jars will be published to the update site.

> 2) I tried the new static content (I interpret that as html only)
> automatically republish feature today.  It worked well!
>
> One thing I noticed is that after I made a change to the html file
> and save
> it, the server's state changed from synchronized to republish which
> indicated a republish was needed here.  But actually it was not
> needed as I
> saw the changes in the browser right away without the republish.
> My guess
> is that you are getting the republish state from WTP framework when
> a change
> is saved in my project but this can be confusing to the users.

This feature is not yet implemented fully.

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Paul,  see inline...

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
Sachin,  I just checked out the RC3 and it looks GREAT!!  I love the
fact that using the Eclipse plugin I can create a web project, deploy
it to Geronimo, debug/update my JSP and see the changes reflected
immediately (and I mean *immediately*) via a simple app republish, and